Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:30 am 
Regular

It has been widely reported that the Gibson Co. could be going into administration. I know guitar sales in the US are down a third as fewer young people are taking up the instrument; not sure about the rest of the world. I think it's a combination of more choice in guitar brands, having their models copied and that Gibson guitars are perhaps too expensive for many...a price that cant be justified

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:29 am 
Newcomer

Gibson have been making guitars of a poorer and poorer quality for years.
I have a few of the classics. A 57 Les paul Junior, a les paul special plus an sg-x which is like a junior. All of which are great. But when I look at the new ones, I'm appalled. Cheaper materials, poor finish, "stuck on" decals. Of course, the have to source different woods for ecological reasons, but that's no reason to mis-treat it!

There's lots of guitars out there now that rival Gibsons at much cheaper pricing.
I think they should scale it right back and go back to basics, which they can still do when they try!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:05 pm 
Regular

I believe they are to 're structure', ie concentrate just on guitars. They also have debts..not sure how that will be resolved.
As you say, they're models have been copied for years-as have Fender's. Japanese copies, other far east brands, Vintage do good versions of the LP and SG and of course Epiphone which is part of Gibson anyway. Many cant justify £1500 and more on a guitar..unless you are pro