Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Using a Bigsby ...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:33 pm 
Regular

Hi there. How do you get on with the Bigsby? I ordered one over the internet, had a good look at it when it arrived and sent it straight back next day.

A lot of people have said this; They are clunky and a bit of a compromise when it comes to tuning stability
but apparently a Gretsch is not a proper Gretsch without one :wink:

Post subject: Re: Using a Bigsby ...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:30 pm 
The Boss

I've used them for 40 years they're ace, tuning stability can be improved by using the correct strings, making sure the spring is the right size....they often come with a far smaller spring than is needed which lowers the tension this leads to tuning horrors. Most trems come with some issues it's the nature of lowering and heightening the tension of strings....there's also technique involved, you have to practice and"know"your instrument....I love em

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:14 pm 
Regular

OK. I'll bear that in mind..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:47 pm 
Regular

I cant really bond with a guitar without a trem any more, i kind of feel like its part of the instrument now. That being said, I purposefully play one with a hard tail every so often so it doesn't become a habit or get boring or a crutch that i lean on as it could get boring to listen to

Your friendly local guitar tech is your friend when it comes to your guitar with a bigsby. Find a good one and become a good customer. When youve got it set up the way you want it do not take all the strings off when you change them, change them one at a time to keep her all nice and stable. Its true, bigsby equipped gits can be a total git, but find a good one and get her sorted and she'll be perfect if you treat her with a wee bit love.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:40 am 
Regular

From what I can tell, what I've read, they don't work quite as well as the Fender ( or Strat) trem, but then you cant use those with a hollow body. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:45 am 
Regular

Hi..remembering my post, at end of last year I came across a different take on the Bigsby made by Duesenberg, the same German company that makes guitars.

It doesn't have the same large frame, fits most guitars and you can see when the strings return to pitch . It also has a single spring and gives roughly the same effect, half a tone down, maybe a bit more..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:49 pm 
Newcomer

Never had a problem with a Bigsby.
I have used them with the vibra-mate plate thing that means you don't have to drill holes in guitars when you retro fit.

Raven from Killing Joke had a Duesenberg bass. It lived at my house for a long while. It was gorgeous. Looked like a 50's American car. Luvverly!