Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:19 pm 
Newcomer

Hello fellow guitarists - has anyone had any experience with vibro king amps? Are they worth the extra bit of dollar? You know how it is....the quest for tone etc. Trouble is, the shops round my way dont have em in stock, i'd have to order one etc. I want as many opinions as possible afore I leap in.

xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:26 am 
Too much time on my hands

I've got one - It's a truly great amp, although if you do any seriously loud gigs, they break up a little too early, especially with humbuckers. I take a '65 RI Twin reverb out for more clean headroom. Although, I use the tilt back legs, which forces you to turn down - it doesn't blast through your legs that way.....

It's my first 'go to' amp though - and it's probably the best sounding amp I own (well, aside from a tweed deluxe, but that's a little too quiet for gigs)

I started out with Fender twins and for some stupid reason decided that other amps were 'better'. Mesa Boogie, Marshall, Fender Tone Master and the new channel switching version of the Fender Twin. All were pants compared to the Vibroking. Sold them all one by one and have ended up back with simple circuit Fender amps again - full circle. The Vibroking has just one channel but has a clean boost switch which is pretty useful - they break up in a really nice way though; very smooth sounding - especially with the boost switch kicked in. I know Richard has the 100 watt Dual Professional, which is pretty much a similar amp, just more powerful with 2 x 12 inch speakers.

I had the 100W Fender Tone Master with a 4 x12 cab and that was a pain in the arse to lug around + didn't sound that good either - I sold it and wanted to get a Vibroking, but found like you, that they aren't around in shops that often.
I put a wanted ad in Guitarist magazine and had about 5 offers. They cost a lot - mine was £1200 second hand + mint, but new they are stupidly double that.

Yes, get one - they're fantastic. I play quite a few different guitars through it and they all work very well - Fender 'Nocaster' matches the best though...

http://www.myspace.com/stevebillybuckley

http://www.myspace.com/thewagontrain