Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:02 pm 
Hawleytastic!

So I'm off to play guitar with Martin Stephenson on one of his guitar weekends in Scotland in a couple of weeks. My fingers are killing me here as I am getting some extra practice in.

Restrung the trusty Takamine as well - it now sounds like shit and is really difficult to play :) Should be good fun though - I understand there is a couple of places left on the weekend FWIW.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:31 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

SimonK wrote:
So I'm off to play guitar with Martin Stephenson on one of his guitar weekends in Scotland in a couple of weeks. My fingers are killing me here as I am getting some extra practice in.

Restrung the trusty Takamine as well - it now sounds like shit and is really difficult to play :) Should be good fun though - I understand there is a couple of places left on the weekend FWIW.
Id love to learn how to play colleen. Great song love those jazzy chords he uses. Wholly humble heart is also a great track. I met him once in dublin grafton street where he was busking. He seems like a lovely guy. Very friendly and a great player. Had a chat with him for a few minutes and he very kindly played colleen for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:22 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Heh, I'd forgotten all about that track until you mentioned it. Had a quick gander on Youtube and it took my right back. I might ask him about the music to Colleen but TBH there will be too many jazz chords to remember :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:07 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

SimonK wrote:
Heh, I'd forgotten all about that track until you mentioned it. Had a quick gander on Youtube and it took my right back. I might ask him about the music to Colleen but TBH there will be too many jazz chords to remember :)
Maybe he will show you how to play it and then you can tell me :*: Enjoy your weekend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:44 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Carl H Can I ask you a question?

To get a Johnny Marr Sound for some girls are bigger that others what do you use?

I have a Strat and a Fender Blues Jnr. I have a delay pedal. Theres probably a touch of chorus in there somewhere is there?

I have a blues driver and a mxr compression also.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:45 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Martin wrote:
Carl H Can I ask you a question?

To get a Johnny Marr Sound for some girls are bigger that others what do you use?

I have a Strat and a Fender Blues Jnr. I have a delay pedal. Theres probably a touch of chorus in there somewhere is there?

I have a blues driver and a mxr compression also.

Thanks
I think johnny used a 1963 strat through a fender twin reverb. There is a little bit of chorus in there and a bit of compression. there is a bit of reverb in there most likely from the fender twin. Use the out of phase 4th position of your strat (neck and middle pick up). The version on the Queen is dead sounds like there is some digital delay but the live version dosn't sound like it has any delay. Put your Strat into the mxr compression then into a delay pedal then into a chorus. Hope that helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAzmQbfZ ... re=related

He uses a capo on the fourth fret in the live version but not on the studio version. He also uses a rickenbacker 330 on the studio version. This guy on youtube does a nice version. It's not note for note but it will give you a good idea. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5MfMJMM ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:10 am 
Hawleytastic!

A belated update to this thread. The weekend was brilliant. Martin is one of the nicest people you could hope to meet. I've been a fan since the mid eighties so it was a real pleasure to meet him, play guitar with him and other lads and get an insight into his style and songwriting. What a talent he is, the sounds he was getting out of a little battered parlour style guitar were bloody amazing. Despite the relatively long drive to Dumfries it was an excellent weekend away. Here's a few pics I took.

The mighty Martin S.

Martin and his Mrs. - Helen McCookerybook

On Saturday night, there was a gig - Martin and the other two talented instructors Brian and Paul. Fantastic evening - only about 15 of us there plus a few hotel staff loitering in the shadows to watch.

Avert your eyes, a five string banjo appeared at one stage.

Well recommended if you're a middle aged has been like myself who fancies a weekend away playing guitar.