Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:06 pm 
Regular

Recent acquisitions to my ever increasing guitar collection, which are now being used on stage as well, when their rotation time comes.

First up. A gift Tele. A very well gigged Squier Affinity Tele, given to me by a mate who played two years worth of riotous gigs with it. This guitar has been transported everywhere without even a gig bag, been lost twice in an audience, been thrown across stages and practice rooms, and has had beer, blood and maybe even worse spilt on it.

A true road warrior, completely stock too, now lives a more sedate life with me, as his band split recently.

Next up, a nice old Aria semi. A TA40. Been wanting a semi for some years now, and I love the Arias as they are bolt on necks, and are modelled on the original Matsumoku Arias

Then I got this original Matsumoku made guitar for £80. A 1984 Westone Spectrum 3, apparently a bit of a rare bird, as they only made them with this body style and a non-locking trem for a year or so.

A real 1980s throwback, plays and sounds really nice too. Joins my other Westone Concord, and could be one of many more Westones

Then two days later scored a Danelectro U2 for £50. Always wanted a Dano, when I did the BIN on this I thought it was a battered recent ReIssue Chinese one, which for £50 would have been a good deal as it is.

Turns out that this is one of the early Korean reissues from 1998, highly regarded as being second only to a vintage Dano. Very battered, rusty parts, switch doesnt work, tape coming off the sides, but strung up, set up and fettled, makes a really sweet player. Used it as a back up at a rehearsal last night, it ended up being used for most of the time. The twin Dano pickup tone is just something else.

And finally, almost as good as a NGD, I stuck a Bigsby type vibrato on my old Esquired Squier Tele.

All is good :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:15 pm 
Hawleytastic!

nice one!
The Dano's are ace aren't they? i've got the same reissue, mines in dano cream, you can tell the first release reissues as they have different tuning pegs, the later ones have D-branded heavier tuners., mine seems to have kept the binding intact too and i managed to get mine with a dano hard case, quite collectable too.
A mate of mine has one in burgundy and i gave it a bit of a set up a while ago, A/B'd it with mine and his seemed to have more output. i've offered him first dibs if he ever sells it!!
Great guitars

www.myspace.com/roamingson
www.facebook.com/roamingsonuk
www.facebook.com/marklyall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:35 pm 
Hawley Groupie

I live the look of that Aria semi. A TA40 Mr Sollophonic.

How does it play and sound?