Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Amp Heaven
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:45 pm 
Newcomer

Hi all,

I recently switched from using a Vox AD120 to a Mesa/Boogie F-50 and I simply cannot believe the difference in tone, musicality etc. I'd used the Vox, which is a digital modelling amp for about 10 years and I'd always really rated it but of late I'd just kind of heard through the overdrive sounds. So after much deliberating I decided to go for the valve option and managed to get a fantastic deal on the Mesa. Got it last Saturday, drove up to Holland Park to get it from Brighton (managed a sneaky detour to the site of Keith Moon's old pad in Chertsey) and since then have been totally blown away by the difference in sound. I don't know if it's just a particularly great amp but it's just such a massive step up. The clean channel is a thing of beauty, totally sings and the lead channel is a lot more varied than you might expect, you can get all those heavy sounds but also lots of creamy west coast sounds too.

Gigged with it last night, very happy.

Anyway I'm not wanting to sound like a commercial for Mesa amps but I felt I really had to say what a big difference going from transistor to valve has made. Anyone out there thinking of upgrading, do it.