Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:41 pm 
Hawleytastic!

any other guitar players out there have had a battle with the soundguy asking you to turn it down?
played last night and took a modest sized fender supersonic, (other bands had brough fender twons / marshal stacks etc) had it on just under half, band sound onstage was great and i got the sound i wanted...anyway the sound guy said i was too loud so i kindly turned down.
After the first song everyone was asking to turn the guitars up, so i did and motioned to the sound guy to do the same..after the set everyone said that the guitars were still too low in the mix.
had a word with the soundguy and he said any louder and they would have clashed with the vocals...the guitars a fooking lead instrument pal..it needs to be heard!!!

Happened a while ago too..did a gig with my dad, and took my 15 watt fender blues junior, had it on half to get the tone i wanted, and the sound guy still asked me to turn down!! this is at a place where Wilko Johnson, Duane Eddy, Jace Everett has played. surely the y don't get told to turn down?? so anyway just to please him i turned down (a bit) ,this not getting the twang / tone & volume out of my grestsch, and not enjoying the gig as much cos i didn't have the sound i wanted. again after the first set, i turned up a bit, to which the soundguy came onstage and blatantly turned my amp down!!! twat..again after the gig everyone said that the guitar wasn't cutting through.

anyone else had any problems?? our band knows what sound we want upfront and i'm sure we all could do a better job than the 'in house' sound guys employed.
soz for the rant..just pisses me off!

www.myspace.com/roamingson
www.facebook.com/roamingsonuk
www.facebook.com/marklyall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:22 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Sounds like a power trip - your either on the stage or your not type of thing - when the folks in the front row get a nose / ear bleed you know the sounds too loud - then you turn it down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:46 pm 
Hawleytastic!

oh yeah, i know when it gets too loud! i like to have a bit of volume on stage, but turning the amp down to 3 and all i can hear is the drums belting out is definately wrong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:26 am 
Hawley Groupie

if you point the amp towards yourself & away from the soundman (more like a monitor), maybe he'll think it's quiter, you'll think it's louder?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:06 am 
Hawleytastic!

I have to be honest and say when I do sound it is sometimes a bit of a problem the guitarist being too loud. Then again I always ask the band what their sound is meant to be like. After all they know best. If the guitar is meant to stand out then it'd be very rude of me to disagree and put it low in the mix.

However!!!!

I do sound mostly for retro / rockabilly bands and there's a real difference of opinion about guitar. I think these days we're used to hearing guitar as the lead instrument (Brian Setzer style) but if you listen to a lot of 50s stuff (and this is a bit of a generalisation I know) then the important things are the vocal, the beat and the bass. And the guitar is quite subtle.

It can be a bit annoying if a guitarist's amp is so loud that you can't push the vocal up to match it. I suppose that's what a soundcheck is for though! To find a happy balance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:17 am 
Hawleytastic!

When I'm playing on stage though I've come up against the odd soundman who is a complete cock, who just won't listen and says "I'm doing the sound, not you" and that's very annoying.

There has to be a good relationship between the band and soundman, and I find the best thing to do is introduce yourself personally and call them by their first name whenever you request/suggest any changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:02 pm 
Hawleytastic!

As a "singer" I find our guitarists amp overwhelming. Especially in rehearsals as it's all you can hear, I can never hear myself in rehearsals (and then we wonder why I sound shit when we record). Then again there have been times when the guitars have been too soft and we can't get into it properly. Dilemma.

(solution - I bought a trumpet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:51 pm 
Hawleytastic!

yeah i can imagine it being hard for a singer, especially having drums behind them too, our singer said he'd rather have the guitar amp up loud tho, rather than just hearing drums & bass in the monitors.
Had a great gig on Saturday, sound guy was a reall gent, we got an hour & half to soundcheck, all had our own mixes, i had nothing coming through the monitor as i prefer to hear the guitar behind me, and he was fine with that., 22 watt fender supersonic was cranked to just over half and the stage volume was fine!
Had that before where the sound guy says 'it's me thats doing your sound', from now on i'm gonna get a long guitar lead and listen to it upfront when soundchecking, at the end of the day it's the band that knows what sound they want isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:20 pm 
Hawleytastic!

We either do our own sound, or one of us goes out front and tells the sound when it's how we like it...when we can, we take our own sound person with us.