Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Carl Perkins and echo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:17 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

A moment ago I was writing in the thread about learning to play the guitar, musing about how difficult it seems to me to copy a specific guitar sound. And I've remembered this video of Carl Perkins talking about how he tried to copy Les Paul without knowing about echo units. Probably you already know it (the video, not that there are echo units), but just in case. I'm mesmerized each time I watch it (and George Harrison looks like he is, too).

Watch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:04 pm 
The Boss

that is awesome...by trying to copy something he invented something totally unique......amazing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:54 am 
Newcomer

I remember seeing a similar video featuring James Burton, discussing how he went about recreating Scotty Moore's guitar sound.
Not knowing that Scotty used the tape-echo unit that was built into his amp, James went about emulating Scotty's slap-back echo by rhythmically repicking chords with his fingers, thus creating the desired 'echo'.
James, in the video, then went on to demonstrate how he utililised this nifty trick on his guitar-part on Ricky Nelson's 'Poor Little Fool'. Brilliant 8)
Mx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:00 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
that is awesome...by trying to copy something he invented something totally unique......amazing

I suppose that's the difference between a genius and the rest of us. By trying to copy things I carry on getting nothing but loads of rubbish :mrgreen:.

Michael Davenport wrote:
I remember seeing a similar video featuring James Burton, discussing how he went about recreating Scotty Moore's guitar sound.
Not knowing that Scotty used the tape-echo unit that was built into his amp, James went about emulating Scotty's slap-back echo by rhythmically repicking chords with his fingers, thus creating the desired 'echo'.
James, in the video, then went on to demonstrate how he utililised this nifty trick on his guitar-part on Ricky Nelson's 'Poor Little Fool'. Brilliant 8)
Mx

I'm going directly to YouTube to try to find that video... And to listen again to 'Poor Little Fool' with new ears, knowing this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:36 am 
Newcomer

Hello Colombo

I'll save you the searching as I decided to have a look for it myself. It transpires that I paraphrased him a little, but I had the context vaguely correct:

Here's a link to the video: http://youtu.be/MLwthU3gIjE

Watch from about 1.30 to hear him discuss how he came upon his style, which he follows with a demonstration. Once you've seen that, nip forward to 7.26 and watch him play his solo for "Fools Rush In': sublime.

I actually have a copy of the DVD these clips come from. If you'd like to 'borrow' a 'copy' :wink: , PM me your address and I'll mail one to you.

By the way, the link to the Carl Perkins video doesn't seem to be showing on my copt of this thread. Would you mind re-posting it? **No, scrub that, I've just discovered that 'watch' is a hyperlink! :roll:

Mx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:50 am 
Newcomer

Awesome!

I've just watched the Carl Perkins video — I love how he says at 1.01, "I'll just play it simple first..."

SIMPLE?

Think I'll get my coat...though I am going to have a bash at emulating the technique. I used to use a similar manual effect when I played in a Reggae band, though it was nothing like Mr Perkins' demonstration!

Mx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:23 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Thanks for the link! I wasn't able to locate it myself.

Michael Davenport wrote:
Once you've seen that, nip forward to 7.26 and watch him play his solo for "Fools Rush In': sublime.

:shock: Wow! These people don't need a band providing a background on top of which to play their solo. They make it sound complete in itself. And the worst of it is that they make it seem so easy... The effect is a bit spoiled because, at least for me, the audio and the video are out of sync (at the beginning of the video they're all right, but it gets worse as time goes on).

I wonder who else has made such mistakes when trying to copy some effect. I always thought it funny when I read that John Lennon was kneeling and turning the volume knob in George's guitar in "I Need You" (or was it "Yes It Is"?) because George wasn't able to use the volume pedal coordinately, but apart from not being really a mistake, that's nothing compared to these two echo counterfeits.