Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Broken Fingers
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:22 pm 
Regular

I broke 2 fingers on my left hand last month and they haven't healed properly. I'm going to have an operation next week to take some bones out of my hand and transplant them into my fingers. The consultant said it's going to take 3 months to heal and another 3 months of physio to get dexterity back but they'll never work quite the same way again and I'm more likely to develop arthritis when I'm older.

I'm a guitarist and usually play 5 or 6 gigs a month but I play guitar every day so 6 months feels like forever!

Has anyone else had to overcome any hand injuries? Any tips?

Post subject: Re: Broken Fingers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:47 am 
The Boss

Yep......it's a mare but.......it'll be alright your playing will come back and you will adapt I've had a nightmare with my hands,I did a world tour with two broken fingers.......but that's another story,good luck,don't be afraid ..>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:30 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

A nightmare. I had an accident a couple of years ago where I (cleverly) stabbed myself with a sharp knife and thought I'd permanently damaged my tendons. 6 months later, feeling finally returned. In the meantime, I ran through various fall-back scenarios, one of which was to learn to play slide. Touch wood, you'll be back where you were, but if not, there's no reason to let it stop you making music, maybe even better than you did before. Django being the ultimate example. Best of luck...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:21 am 
Regular

It's good to hear about other people's experiences and recoveries. There was a 48 hour period where the doctors were telling me it might be too bad to operate on and I had to wait to see the top hand surgeon for a final decision... the darkest hour just before the dawn. When we met he told me he would operate and was hopeful of pretty good results... I almost kissed him!!!

I'm intending to work on some right hand piano while I'm out of action and progress onto lap steel when I start to get feeling back. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to move to the north coast of Ireland to live with my parents while I'm healing which will be good

It was doing my head in having guitars in the house and not being able to play them so I lent a most of them out to mates and sent my amps on holiday to another mate's studio... I've got some pints to cash in :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:40 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I wish you the best of lucks, Ronnie. Fortunately, I cannot give you first-hand advice, since I've never broken any bone. But even if it takes six months to get your dexterity and strength back, I'm not sure any doctor can tell you you won't get to the same level you had before. I think that's more a matter of wanting to. You must take all the time you need to practice and recover, and even if things weren't exactly the same again, man's ability to adapt and make the most of any situation is enormous.