Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:03 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Saw on Fender Facebook you've tried out the Johnny Marr jag. any good?
Have you tried the Squier J.Mascis Jazzmaster.....i've got one and they are ace (and a tad cheaper)
http://www.facebook.com/Fender#!/FenderGBI?fref=ts

www.myspace.com/roamingson
www.facebook.com/roamingsonuk
www.facebook.com/marklyall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:13 am 
The Boss

Hi mate,thanks for your question,me and my soul brother Palf were invited yesterday to spend a WHOLE afternoon at the Fender/Gretsch showroom in London and we just had the best day ever i was like a kid on an X-Box with no parents.........no interviews no bullshit apart from a brief bit of filming just guitars and amps with my lovely mate Neil at Fender/Gretsch........i played so many great guitars it was insane a few of prototype amps more of which will be revealed later i guess,but in answer to your question about Johnny's jag..........its truly a work of love and beauty,i got into it later in the day but once i got into it i couldn't put it down its such a work of love.....and deep subject knowledge too...I am well familiar with the jag as i have a beautiful 63 lake placid blue example that features on a few of my favourite pieces of my own works but i truly think Johnny has added to the fender legacy with such a level of awareness only a true master could do,for starters the neck profile is to die for,so playable there's no fight if you know what i mean,you could play it all day....it almost plays itself......as my Dad used to say...he's adapted the pick up situation brilliantly which,unless you played them all the time,could be a nightmare,its easy to get lost in the complexities of those tiny switches.........there were only really[in my view}four tones/sounds that were useful to you if you know a jag and a couple extra if you REALLY know them but he has simplified the pick up selections,i like the feel of the guitar more than anything,the body profile felt like....mmmm......more like me dads old strat actually especially i noticed round the right hand side,it hugged your body and your fore arm differently,but maybe thats me.The laquer was really thick and the colour was lovely........the main thing i noticed that was really radical was that the tremelo arm only allowed you a strict full tone bend.....for example of you played a G it would take you down at full bend down to an F....mine is like a dive bombing stuka at full siren alert when cranked up.........but it seemed logical really........mostly when i hammer the trem it usually comes back up massively out of tune but on Johnny's adapted jag the tuning holds far far truer.............anyway these are my heart felt thoughts......love guitars me.......thank f""K for Les Paul,Fred Gretsch and Leo Fender..........johnny Marr and electricity x

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:43 am 
Hawleytastic!

Well that certainly beats writing reports about Chickens! :roll:

Rock and Roll! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:54 am 
Hawleytastic!

Wow, sounds like you had a great time!, i went to Richtone in Sheff the other week and pretty much tried out everything in the shop.
Will have to check out Johnny's Jag, sounds like fender have got it right then, i suppose everything on it is all personal spec, but obviosuly it's all done for a reason. little tweaks etc.
I wondered what the different selector switch was for. not tried a jag but i know they have more options than the Jazzmaster...it took me a while to get used to the rhythm circuit on the jazz.
I noticed Squier has done a new range of jag / jazz reissues and you can get them dirt cheap, think now is a fantastic time to be buying guitars.

New prototype amps sound interesting too...next album eh?

www.myspace.com/roamingson
www.facebook.com/roamingsonuk
www.facebook.com/marklyall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:24 pm 
Regular poster

Hi Richard....did you purchase anything....an early Christmas present perhaps?