Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mandolin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:43 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Just got my first mandolin yesterday and enjoying the new sound. Getting used to the tint frets and the different tuning to the guitar and 5 string banjo I have. First tune that came to me - Ronnie Lane's - How Come. Anyone else play?

Post subject: Re: Mandolin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:12 pm 
Regular poster

Have had one for a few years and every few months it comes out of the case - I love the sound and I learned to play it in the first year and did quite a few gigs with it - adds a lots to some songs. One of the big plus points of playing the mandolin with its higher tension when you go back to guitar it seems to play much easier.
never progressed much beyond first position chords but that gets you by and I found that scales and the like seemed very natural on the mandolin
think it will be coming out of the case tonight for a session - good luck with it...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:05 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I dabble - I play on two or three songs with my band and am gradually increasing the chord vocabulary beyond G, C and D....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:16 am 
Hawleytastic!

Mandolin has proved addictive and is surprisingly easy to pick up the basics (probably where I'll flatline) and the whole upside down next to guitar just isn't a problem, it all just seems to flow naturally. Picked up my banjo on Saturday and it felt enormous. And G, C and D....gets you through a lot of tunes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:11 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

A couple of years ago I went through a period of wanting to play the mandolin, after hearing this. Luckily, sanity prevailed, just for once, and I promised to myself I wouldn't try a new instrument before learning to play the guitar once and for all after the umpteenth attempt. So, in theory, I'm done as far as new instruments are concerned.

But then, the flesh is weak :roll:. Did you say the basics are easy to pick up? :*: