Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:30 pm 
The Boss

I've got a standard Les Paul and you could throw it out of a moving car on the M1 and it'd still be in tune.....the LP es295 is a beautiful guitar and one I love but it's definitely got its issues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:21 pm 
Regular

Here's the wee minx that is turning my head. She is a 2002 custom shop R8 so has a fat "50's style" neck like the LP295 that I really much prefer to the slimmer ones, i seem to like em chunky (fnar fnar).

Previous owner has put 50's style wiring in her, a tonepros locking bridge and some rather lovely sounding Bareknuckle Stormy Monday pickups. She's been well played, a good sign I reckon, so has all her edges all nicely rounded in. The fretboard is so dark and smooth and she growls like a goodun. Yummy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:41 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

the locking tuners are the way to go. it should be steady as a rock then. the r8 looks lovely. I have the hands of a small child, so i could never manage those big necks. the r9 are a little bit slimmer but still quite chunky. A friend of mine has an r7 goldtop. the neck is like a baseball bat which he loves because he has hands like shovels. Any of those bareknuckle pickups i've heard sound fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:48 pm 
Regular

Ive gone and done it, ive traded the LP295 for this one. Im a little sad but after a week with the R8 ill play it much, much more as it stays in bloody tune!!

Ive got small mits too Carl but seem to prefer fatter necks. I play a nocaster a lot which has a ridiculous U shaped baseball bat neck. I stayed clear of big necks for years as i thought id not get on with them but after trying a few found i much prefer them chunky. Think its my sloppy thumb over the top technique that makes it possible!

I concur with the Bareknuckle pups, ive got a set of Abraxas hummers in an old epi sheraton and they are brill, a bit hot but really cutting.

Happy playing!!