Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:48 pm 
Regular

Just read the quite excellent Guitarist mag interview and I have a couple of thoughts...

1 - Ive got a les paul 295 too and i cant keep mine in bloody tune either. The G is particularly bad and the B is temperamental too. If you or Gordon suss it out can you let me know please?! Im about to replace the nut after having it recut with no success on the tuning stability. Its really starting to chafe my chuckies as i love playing it but i tend to not pick it up as its so temperamental

2 - Back on the smokes?!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:50 am 
The Boss

It drives me insane....we did all that bridge thing it helped but hasn't solved it,in the end I out really heavy gauge strings on it and that helped

Back on the smokes yes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Naughty boy :eh?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:53 am 
Hawleytastic!

The good thing about smoking is you can always give it up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:39 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Shouldn't Gibson offer to fix the problem if it's a design flaw? Or are these really old guitars we're talking about?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:59 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Poppy Dog wrote:
The good thing about smoking is you can always give it up.

Ibid.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:32 pm 
Regular

Well its a sad day, ive started to make enquiries about trading my LP295 for another Les Paul. Another setup and im still having real tuning probs so its time to get something more reliable. Im gutted :(

Why do i name them, it just makes it harder to let go!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:18 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Before you sell it try changing the nut to a tusq XL self lubricating nut. A bit of big bends nut sauce or some vasaline mixed with some pencil graphite rubbed into the nut slots and over the saddles makes a big difference. I had a similar problem with a 335 with bigsby and while it didn't eliminate the problem, it was a hell of a lot better. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:48 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

carlh wrote:
Before you sell it try changing the nut to a tusq XL self lubricating nut. A bit of big bends nut sauce or some vasaline mixed with some pencil graphite rubbed into the nut slots and over the saddles makes a big difference. I had a similar problem with a 335 with bigsby and while it didn't eliminate the problem, it was a hell of a lot better. Hope this helps

Wow. This makes Sir Humphrey's speech on the 'Yes Minister' repeat just now sound like a primary school english text.

Is this for real, Carl H? Or have I just fallen into a cunning trap....?!

I think I need a lie down......

- a bamboozled Hawleyboarder. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:04 am 
Regular

Hi Carl, thanks for the shout. The stock nut was a tusq job, i thought it was poorly cut so i had it replaced with another tusq self loob jobby and no joy. I've had it setup since then and its marginally better but still goes shockingly flat across all strings except the two E's. Someone has recommended another tech guy so im going to give it one last go with him and see how it is.

Im a pencil led in the nut slot guy (ooh er!!!) and get funny looks when my little gig essentials bag has mechanical pencil refills in it! Works a treat though

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:35 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Try the vasaline as well as the graphite. The more lube the better(Fnar Fnar) Its a common problem with gibsons because of the design of the headstock. The strings go through the nut and then break at an angle before going into the tuning pegs. Also try a heavier gauge strings. For years I only used 10's before a guitar tech friend of mine convinced me to try 11's with a bigsby. It made a big difference on the 335. Give it a go

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:43 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Josie wrote:
carlh wrote:

Wow. This makes Sir Humphrey's speech on the 'Yes Minister' repeat just now sound like a primary school english text.

Is this for real, Carl H? Or have I just fallen into a cunning trap....?!

I think I need a lie down......

- a bamboozled Hawleyboarder. :shock:

Hope your ok josie. I know how it must sound but no you haven't fallen cunning trap. All good clean family fun between consenting adults :*:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:46 am 
Regular

Update! Another chap took a look at her yesterday and noticed a quite considerable amount of movement of the bridge/saddles when the bigsby in pressed, so when the string tension is released from the saddles. I could see it moving towards the nut while he was doing it. So, he is going strip it down and see how much play there is and sure things up. Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:31 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

that's sounds positive, that the problem has been identified. hope you get to the bottom of it. let me know how you get on. i'm sure it will up and running soon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:07 pm 
Regular

Update two; the chap has managed to make the bridge much more stable (he wrapped some plumbers thread tape around the bridge anchors and its made a huge difference!) and he reckons with some locking tuners she'll be solid as a rock

Great news... if i hadnt already fallen for a 2002 R8 Les Paul that is a total monster that I have on trial for a few days. Damn it! I dont know whether to stick with mine or go for something more "traditionally" les paul. Bugger!!