Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Burns Double Six
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:20 am 
Hawley Groupie

Does anyone know if there are any Burns dealers in the US where I can order a Double Six from? I looked on zzounds.com, samedaymusic and musiciansfriend and none of them carry Burns any more. I can find some in the UK but they're like a squillion dollars with the exchange rate being so poo.

Shez played one in Minneapolis and it just stayed in tune even when capo'd. I've got a Rickenbacker 360-12 and the thing goes out of tune if you breath on it.

If I'm ever up against a firing squad and I've got a last request, it'll be to tune the Ricky...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:16 am 
The Boss

i doubt it mate,Shez got that cos we couldn't take me original Baldwin double six on tour as its too rare and fragile the new ones are great though,i prefer the Burns/Baldwins to any other electric 12 i've ever played Ricky's sound nice but like you say they're a fucker for tuning also the necks are way too narrow for me and our Shez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:00 pm 
Hawley Groupie

ah yeah, i had a feeling that they'd pulled out of the US, ya can't get em anywhere here anymore. i'll probably take the plunge and import one at some point. apparently the reissues aren't at all bad for the money and they way Shez's sounded pretty much confirms that... bloody lovely. the ricky does feeling a big fistful of strings.

there's an original one going on UK ebay now and it's lush, but for silly money (mind you, i suppose i could always cancel christmas... hmm...)

cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:24 pm 
I need a life

speedyvespa wrote:
ah yeah, i had a feeling that they'd pulled out of the US, ya can't get em anywhere here anymore. i'll probably take the plunge and import one at some point. apparently the reissues aren't at all bad for the money and they way Shez's sounded pretty much confirms that... bloody lovely. the ricky does feeling a big fistful of strings.

there's an original one going on UK ebay now and it's lush, but for silly money (mind you, i suppose i could always cancel christmas... hmm...)

cheers!

did you ever get one of these fella, meant to say ages ago that I'd picked one up from GAK in Brighton for £299, a right bargain i think and they're still pretty reasonably priced...
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/double-six/68609
how beautiful is this :geek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:42 pm 
Regular poster

There's an original 60's Baldwin for sale in Electro Music in Donaster at the moment. Looks nice, about £1400!

I've been looking for an electric 12 string, I want an Epiphone Riviera XII but can't find one. So if anyone knows nyone/anywhere where there is one I'd be very interested!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:18 am 
Hawley Groupie

Jonny_2_owls wrote:
There's an original 60's Baldwin for sale in Electro Music in Donaster at the moment. Looks nice, about £1400!

I've been looking for an electric 12 string, I want an Epiphone Riviera XII but can't find one. So if anyone knows nyone/anywhere where there is one I'd be very interested!

Actually, I got equally lucky - there's some strange old geezer who plays the local hole-in-the-wall burger joint every Tuesday who I got speaking to, turns out he had a few hits back in the day (actually sounds a bit like our Richard so obviously some talent going on there) but ducked out of the biz as it was driving him to drink and drugs, or something. Anyway, he sold me his for $600! Next mission - I want his shoes, really nice and like a suede finish. They looked purple but I could be wrong (it's dark in that place).

Anyway I'm rambling, but I actually got a scan of a picture of him in his heyday that he keeps on his mantlepiece - he looked the part, you have to say that.

http://www.dadadress.com/images/blokewithburns.jpg

the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:40 pm 
The Boss

mine is actually a Baldwin double six for your info i love the sound of it its the best 12' i have ever played

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:17 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Actually truth is that I got a Burns ressiue from a friend - $600, and it's a lot of guitar for the money, really pleased with it. Sounds mint through my super reverb.

Now to restring the bugger... :shock:

the end.

Post subject: Re: Burns Double Six
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:13 pm 
Newcomer

Just picked up a '65 Baldwin doublesix from Richtone!

The staff advised tuning down and using a capo to keep the tension on the neck down.

Whaddya reckon? Any advice muchly welcomed!

Post subject: Re: Burns Double Six
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:37 pm 
Hawley Groupie

If anyone's interested, I'm thinking of letting my (re-issue) go; there's not room in the house*, and it doesn't get played as much as it should. Guitars need playing**.

*some of the opinions posted here are not necessarily the opinion of the poster. though they may well be the opinion of the poster's good lady wife
**see above, but in reverse