Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:02 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Much excitement in the Maul household - in October we'll be off on a jaunt to the land of Mrs Maul's birth.
Now, as far as the missus is concerned, we're going to revisit the places of her youth in old Alabama while catching up with her family.
Thanks to the aforementioned family's generosity in donating air miles, though, the whole trip's coming in at a bit of a bargain price, so I'm hoping to go guitar shopping while I'm over there.
Although we'll be based in Alabama for most of the trip, we should be doing some visiting in Mississippi and Memphis too.
The dollar vs pound exchange rate's pretty damn good right now, and I'm optmistic of tracking down some interesting/old/unusual things. As well as anything Gretsch-y, I'm keen on more oddball stuff - kitschy old sixties surf guitars, Harmonys, Silvertones... basically anything we don't see much of over here.
Anyone know of any good shops around the southern US worth putting on my 'must visit' list?
Or have any of you gone on a guitar-finding expedition over there? Am I being overly optimistic about finding a land where every single pawn shop has a window full of vintage Country Gents for $500 a time and Harmony Rockets are going for a dollar at every yard sale?
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:29 pm 
Too much time on my hands

If you can get to Nashville, Gruhn's is always worth a look. The days of finding mega bargains is over though - although more unusual models can still be found relatively cheaply

In fact George Gruhn was one of the first to capitalize on the vintage guitar sector in the '70's. He started driving prices up to stay in business.

The bastard.

When I was last over about 3 years ago, there were a couple of '53 Fender Telecasters in for $8k. They're up to $30k now. They let me play them through an old blackface Fender Vibrolux. Most excellent, but not $30k excellent.

I think the Fender Custom Shop is of equal (+ beyond) quality to the '50s stuff - I played a custom shop Nocaster against a refinished '63 Tele - the Nocaster won. I bought it. :wink: Fender Custom shop stuff in the U.S is priced well, although everyone knows what things are worth now, so it's going to get even more difficult with vintage gear.

I've picked up some vintage early '50's Fender, Gibson + National lap steels for a decent price though.

Vintage guitars are a strange area though - it's never the inherent quality or scarcity of the instrument that governs price. It's who's played that model - as shallow as that. Any reason a '59 Gibson Les Paul is worth 15 - 20 times more than a hand crafted, numerically less manufactured '59 Gibson Byrdland?

It's because Eric Clapton, Peter Green and Jimmy Page used them. Simple as.

George Harrison had a '57 Gretsch Duo Jet.

'57 Duo Jets are the most expensive.........

fucking stupid. :roll: :roll:

http://www.myspace.com/stevebillybuckley

http://www.myspace.com/thewagontrain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:51 am 

I've not been down south for a long time, but there's tons of shops, especially in Memphis. I'm sure someone will chime in to help. The prices and sinking economy are really in your favor.

As an avid flea marketer, well you can never say what you'll find, but oh, I do find stuff! I believe in the "stuff god." I'm more on the low end, but it just seems whatever record or dish or silly whatnot I'm thinking about seems to show up, and for crazy low prices.

Happy pickin'!

~ K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:49 am 
Hawley Groupie

Sir Twangalot:
Yep, vintage guitar prices are crazy and irrational. There's a lot of snobbery and herd-mentality business going on - as you say, some things are hugely expensive and sought-after for the name or their association with certain players.
I don't know if we'll make it near Nashville, though I'd really like to. But it's a relatively short trip and Mrs Ted's good nature would probably wear out at yet another several-hundred-mile detour to investigate pawn shops...
:*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:56 am 
Hawley Groupie

Karen:
I'm hoping to hit the flea markets and yard sales wherever we end up. My mother in law buys and sells antiques around Alabama and says she's always coming across interesting old guitars - except she's never sure what's worth anything and what's junk. So maybe I'll get lucky.
The Stuff God's smiled on me once or twice, too. Last year I bought an old Kingston semi acoustic from the States on eBay, to fix up. Once it was fixed I decided not to keep it and sold it on through eBay. I drove it round to the couple who bought it - keen collectors of sixties Japanese guitars - and in conversation it turned out they had a '68 Gretsch Double Anniversary sitting, unused and unwanted, on top of their wardrobe. A quick exchange of cash and the old Annie became my prized possession.
That's the kind of luck that happens once in a lifetime, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:20 am 

It's a beautiful thing! Seriously, I'm starting to believe in this more than anything else. Somehow, the right thing for the right person finds its way home.

Oh that love would be as simple as digging for records and dishes.

Have a fantastic trip! Bit worried about your luggage limits though :)

~ K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:42 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Karen wrote:
Have a fantastic trip! Bit worried about your luggage limits though :)

~ K

Ah, we've got it all worked out - we're like the Partridge Family, each one of us travelling with our instrument. So the kids take back one each, me and the Mrs take back one each ... and my mother in law can mail everything else once we've gone.
:*: