Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:45 pm 
Hawley Groupie

The bridge on my new Electromatic is parallel with the bottom pick up.
But I notice on many Gretsch guitars that the bridge is at a slight angle - nearer to the bigsby on the 6th string at about 8mm offset.
Can someone please advise?
[didn't get any manual with it]

Also, should I use double sided tape to fix it in its position?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:36 pm 
Regular poster

Have a look at my topic just a bit further down 'Duo jet Bigsby electromatic' the double sided tape issue is mentioned. as for the bridge, the nearer it is to the pick up the less vibration there is on the string above the pick up so you would get a more raspy/trebley sound just as strumming nearer the bridge. This is why the e string is closer to get more bite. strumming near the neck would give a fuller tone because the string would vibrate more this is why you get warmer tones from the neck pick up. so, with a floating bridge you can play around with it a bit until you are happy with the sound. but, move too far back towards the bigsby and you would lower the strings on the neck and have to raise the strings. move too near the pick up and you will raise the string above the neck and would make playing the guitar uncomfortable and difficult. so you would have to lower the bridge. if you can trust yourself to try it out then make sure the strings are not too tight and move it a little at a time. or best bet, take it to your local shop and get them to set it up. in your pic there is not a lot of difference to any of the other guitars on the forum. Hope this helps a bit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:08 pm 
Hawley Groupie

thanks richey just read that thread.
yep, think I'll just muck about with it for now and hold the sticky tape at bay. :thumright:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:42 am 
Regular poster

watch out with moving bridges as they directly alter the intonation of the strings - they change the scale length of the guitar and your frets will be spaced for a certain scale length.
There will really only be one position for the bridge to be in for good intonation- if you dont know how to set this there are some good internet resources - just search for guitar setup and intonation.
But might be a good idea to get it set up in a guitar shop initially and lightly mark the position of the bridge. This will be handy when you come to change the strings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:47 pm 
Hawley Groupie

thanks ScottW, will keep this in mind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:55 pm 
The Boss

I own an old Gretsch clipper that has been pinned into position the intonation doesn't move at all but i would probably shit myself doing that to one of my guitars in case you got it wrong :?

generally i get the bridge intonation right then very carefully and gently dot the four corners of the bridge with a water based marker pen,then either place a thin film of blue tack or two sided tape under the bridge area then replace the bridge carefully this usually holds it all in place for the next string change,i have also used an Ibanez half ground brige to replace the roller bridges you sometimes find on old gretsch's,i just put the original in the case,although nowadays its not as m uch fannying around as mdern guitars are made with this in mind......alternatively you could pay someone to do it for you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:57 pm 
Hawley Groupie

thanks all for replies!
for now [since i'm only a newbie] i've set the longitudinal centre of the bridge to align equally with the widest part of the 'f' holes.

Is this safest way 't go for now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:19 pm 
Regular poster

you could measure from the inside of the nut to the middle of the 12th fret
then from there position the centre of the bridge the same distance away. This give you the scale length of the guitar - minor adjustments for full set up can take place from there. - But to get the best out of the guitar and to help progress you guitar playing spend the £30 or so and get it set up. YOu will be glad you did rather that making do.