Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:32 pm 
I need a life

I learning quite fast, and is a joy. I tried many times with acoustic guitars, but know with a electric one is so much easy, I use every spare time to practice, and I started to learn tunes, I pick them with my ear and then I work out with the strings, and when my neighbor is away I play along with the tune on.
I'm always quite depress, but when I hold the guitar, I feel like energy comes back to me, is almost therapeutic. I love my guitar, a second hand Squire Telecaster that I bought in ebay, fitted with a Bigsby tremolo.
Right now I am trying to learn "Love of my life" by the Boss, well it sounds like it, I don't know the chords, I just picked it with my ear, and it sounds quite similar.
Finally I found something that I really enjoy and fulfills me completely,play guitar is great!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:52 pm 
Regular poster

This is soooo coool. well done :D
dont get stressed trying to be perfect it will never happen! ask the pro's
just enjoy holding it in your hands and it will become a great companion. pick it up as often as you can, the toilet is great, a peaceful place, good accoustics and if the neighbours complain, danelectro do a lovely little honey tone e studio with headphones clip it on yer belt and away you go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:17 pm 
I need a life

That danelectro thing is like a mini amp for your belt?, that sounds real cool, I will check that out.
Thanks for your post by the way :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:11 pm 
Regular poster

it is cool, i have one in eggshell blue cost around £20 but can only be heard through headphones which come with it ( and a battery).
There are 2 built in effects, distortion and echo. you can also get nice little mini amps too.
Keep rockin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:01 pm 
The Boss

i have an eggshell blue one but it doesn't have echo i will have to look into that :eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:03 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I'm learning to play too. Still have the acoustic guitar I got for Christmas when I was eight. 36 years later I've finally developed the patience to try & learn it! Don't think I'm a natural somehow though. I have an Antoria Gibson copy which has a very nice feel to it & is much easier to play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:43 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I'm learning to play too. Something I've always wanted to do and because of the good exchange rate decided to buy a guitar from US - picked up a Simon and Patrick acoustic one when I went to visit my son over there at Christmas. I'm sure it would sound lovely played by someone who can play properly!!!

Still in the early stages - haven't had any complaints from the neighbours yet :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:45 am 

Trouble is finding time to practice when I'm on here all night... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:34 am 
I need a life

I am trying to avoid the telly, but is difficult when Paxman is on News Night. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:49 am 
Waitrose Warrior

Richey duo wrote:
the toilet is great, a peaceful place

oh no it isn't! :? :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

iTunes has added a lot of podcast videos (all free download) about how to play assorted guitar types (including left hand techniques)

The link to the podcasts is on the iTunes home page for the next 7 days.

ivodeosongs.com is their web site.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:44 am 

Been trying to learn by myself but this is not ideal, as I don't think I'm a 'natural'. So, going to get lessons. Bit worried though, as I fear a teacher may run out of patience if I don't pick it up too quickly.

Can just about pick out The Shadows' Dance On from the tabs... :? :eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:40 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Your tutor should have plenty of patience - as long as you keep handing over the hard earned :shock:
I've actually been having lessons myself for the last few months and yesterday I introduced Serious to my tutor - he was well impressed. Not by my ham fisted attempt but by Mr.H's :*: When I left he was still practising the solo bits himself and muttering things like "ah, so that's how he does that, very interesting" Yet another convert I think. :*: :*: :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:20 am 
Hawley Groupie

Learning the play the guitar is probably one of the better things I ever did with my life for sure... I sympathise with someone here who said they weren't a 'natural' guitarist, as I think I fall into that category (but I was a good pianist back in the day - just didn't enjoy it). But I don't let it stop me from going to the undisputed masters... guitarists I've hopelessly tried to ape over years include Hendrix, Django Reinhardt through to Chet Atkins and latterly Davy Graham and Nick Drake. Yeah I'm never going be anywhere as near as good as any of that mob, to say the very least (watching Chet Atkins in his prime in particular makes my eyes water) but if I can pull any of it off and be 1/100th as good... then that ain't half bad...

I remember reading an interview with Hendrix when I first started to play, it was one of the few interviews (perhaps the only?) where he was asked about learning to play and I've always remembered what he said - if you go and see a band, and there's a guitarist who is clearly not much cop, don't be sniffy - they'll have one riff, lick, scale or something that sounds good... remember it and make it your own. And don't be impressed by flashy guys at the guitar store, because being flashy isn't always being musical. OK that's massively paraphrased but I think that's the gyst of what he was saying!

Anyway, hope the journey's going well!

the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:18 am 

Hi there, Well, still blundering about on my own, but not giving up! Must take the plunge & sort out a teacher. Suppose I'm a bit nervous of ''you'll never get the hang of it mate''. Should have persevered as a teenager. I did play the drums for a while...Perhaps I shouldn't admit to that though :*: That & having cloth ears too :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next