Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:17 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

My timing is dreadful! I do play along with cds, but often lose the plot half way through. Really need a whole lot more practice :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:47 am 

Guitar teacher came up with a good idea. I'll have a break from lessons until the New Year, and then resume for an odd one here & there, rather than a regular thing. He seems to have more confidence in my playing than I do! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:46 am 
Hawleytastic!

That's good Lofty, you can practise as much as you want in your own time and build up your confidence without the pressure of your next lesson. Thinking about it I don't think I had any lessons from a guitar teacher, just from a teacher who had a guitar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:49 pm 

I'm glad I've not cut myself off entirely from lessons, and He's given me a load of straightforward but interesting stuff to be going on with. Rather than the slightly more advanced things I've had lately which I'd got bogged down with 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:26 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Don't give up Lofty! I stopped my drum lessons at school to spend more
time on Rugby and Football........Still one of my biggest regrets, over 30
years on!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:53 am 

Wish I'd stuck with the guitar the first time round, when I was sixteen. I might have cracked it by now :roll: :*: Strangely though, it was my giving up then that led me to try again 30 years later. When I gave up back then, and sold my guitar, my Dad decided to buy one! The slightly scruffy SG copy he got for 20 quid at the second hand shop - and never really got on with - encouraged me to give it another go, after my Mum was about to chuck it out when he passed away. It was always a better guitar than the cheap strat copy I had, and it turns out now to be quite a decent instrument. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:21 pm 
Hawleytastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vms_6_TS ... _embedded#!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:31 pm 
Hawleytastic!

In a moment of madness at work I sent an e-mail asking if anyone is interested in basic guitar lessons. :? I have had two people reply to say they are interested so I will have to sort out some easy to learn music and hope it goes O.K. I am Union Learning Rep and can't see the point in paying for a tutor if there is not enough interest.

Post subject: The guitar is saving me
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:24 pm 
Newcomer

Hi,
Really like the forum and I found this particular thread really interesting, it sent me reeling back into the mists of time. I really believe that playing guitar did save my life back in the 80's and it's still saving me now.

I left school in '82 and me and all my friends went straight on the dole or into crappy YTS placement schemes. The Birmingham area and its satellite towns like Wolverhampton were a site to behold then - post-industrial/post-apocalyptic wastelands. Hardly anybody had any money and when you did, you used it to get pissed or stoned because there genuinely didn't appear to be any future.

The only beacon of hope for me and a couple of mates was jamming together on long DHSS funded afternoons, listening to Who, Jam and Clash records and trying to work out chords and riffs. We were pretty retro for then I suppose, but being working class and penniless, the site of Simon Le Bon frolicking with bikini clad models or the inane sugary happiness of Haircut 100 seemed a tad 'inauthentic' - it was like a foreign language.

Kids like us were always trying find something in music that seemed 'real' and hard somehow, and the bands mentioned above seemed to embody that, and it was the physicality of the guitar that drew us in. I remembered reading an interview with Joe Strummer around that time and he said something about how he loved the feel of the wood and metal on a guitar, even the pain it inflicted on the fingers kind of grounded you. In that age of synth pop to be seen playing guitar was a statement in itself, it wasn't very cool and aspirational to twang away on a lump of wood when there was all this supposedly cool new, 'cutting edge' technology - that's hilarious now of course!

But the important thing for us was that our love of playing guitar and being able to spend thousands of hours jamming away together, learning and exploring together kept us all a little more saner in a society, that was for people like us at that time, seemingly hopeless, alien and grim. I mean Brum was a bit like Eastern Bloc Europe then (still is in parts).
It scares me a bit to think how me and my mates would have finally ended up without the consolation of the guitar to deflect and channel our fear, confusion and boredom - even just being absorbed for an hour in learning a new riff was like a bit of mental yoga to keep your pecker up.
Anyway, those were my Ziggy Stardust years, courtesy of Thatcher, a battered Ibanez roadstar, Japanese Strat, Carlsbro amp and lots and lots and lots of free time.
(P.S. sorry, gone on a bit)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:32 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I was looking forward to Part II - welcome to the club!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:27 am 

Hi there :wink: Welcome to the madhouse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:04 pm 
Newcomer

Hi Poppy, thought I'd spare you the true wilderness years, they came later!
Hey lofty, how's the guitar playing getting on, still having the lessons?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:12 am 

Brummie in Exile wrote:
Hi Poppy, thought I'd spare you the true wilderness years, they came later!
Hey lofty, how's the guitar playing getting on, still having the lessons?

Thanks for asking mate, I'm still striving for greatness! :? Still playing, but having a break from lessons, as I didn't think I was doing them justice & getting a bit bogged down. I've got loads of stuff to be going on with though & my teacher said I can book a lesson whenever I want. I'll probably take longer than most, but I'm determined to reach some form of competence at it 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:17 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Good to hear you are still practising Lofty. I rarely take my guitar out of its case. Some of the latest songs I am singing with the choir have chords on the music so I will practice them at home. We are doing Fields of Gold and Alleluia (Leonard Cohen).

Hi Brummie in Exile, love the way you appreciate what playing the guitar has done for you. :thumleft:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:49 pm 
Newcomer

At least we've got the web for learning guitar now Lofty, I mean you can find tabs, tutorials anything. Pre-internet days it was figuring all this stuff out yourself - which is important for training your ear to a degree - but its so much easier now to get into different styles and genres.

I used to pay a lot of money for Tab books when I was starting out and most of them were pretty rubbish with bad transcriptions.
How nice to have a digital teacher in your living room, and you can 'rewind' him as many times as you like.
That god like power really gives me a buzz...

:twisted:

Hi Susie, yeah, without the guitar I'd be an even lazier, mentally challenged, outcast than I am now!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next