Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:26 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Hi All,

I've been playin guitar for a good while, but have (for the recent present) been focused on classical stuff.

My current electric set up is a gibson lp, which I want to keep, but my amp is a marshall dsl 401, which, although fine for distortion, isn't really what i want from an amp anymore. I'm looking for something all valve, combo, with lovely clear cleans, but will a nice keith richards style bluesy tone if you turn up the master too. That said, needs to be quiet enought to play in the house without annoying the neighbours, but not so quiet you couldn't gig it. Not too bothered about distortion 'cos you can always buy a pedal, same goes for effects.

The main two amps I was looking at are Fender Twins, and the JMI reissue AC30's. I've had it on good authority that nothing comes close to a proper ac30, and i love the sound of the proper spring reverb, but the korg ones are a bit shit, and the JMI 30/6 reissue is over 2 grand... as far as i know the only place that stocks them is music ground in leeds which is too far for me to go just to try one out really.

i don't really know anything about fender amps, i've played through twins and thought they were decent, but for all i know there could be other models that would be better for me.

If anyone has either model, can offer any advice on long term use or knows a good alternative, i'd appreciate any feedback. I'm just trying all channels before I go parting with hard earned. Thanks in advance! :D Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:18 am 
Newcomer

I'm not familiar with the JMI, though they're really well built. A mate got one built and he's well pleased.

However, I played about on the Twin on tour a few weeks ago and it knocked me for 6. It's the loudest thing I've ever heard and sooooo rich and warm at nearly all volumes on the clean channel. The upside is that it comes with loads of beautiful (and footswitchable) valve and spring driven reverb and trem effects built right in which sound like double cream.

Apparently you're not supposed to do it, but it's also got a drive function that squeals like a baby pig. In a good way.

Also, another plus point is that it's got a quarter power switch so that you can bring the level down for studio/radio/small gigs without any loss in tone. Which is handy.

If I could afford one I'd have one. Simple as that.

Though buy a back support. They weigh a ton!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:31 am 
The Boss

try a marshall jmp.................. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:43 am 
Regular poster

I have a 1975 Silver face twin - really lovely lush amp - but can be very loud. always play clean so the fender twin is ace for this - have a pedal for overdrive/distortion on rare occasion this is needed(rythmn player mostly). Use it in the house at lower volumes without my neighbours complaining, although walls are 2 feet thick so that helps.
I have various single coil and humbucker guitars and all sound great through the twin. You will get lost in the depths of the reverb on this amp - sonic velvet.
There are lots of great amps available on the market - but I would not spend serious cash without trying the amp out one mans perfection is anothers box of shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:44 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Hi. I'll be the fly in the ointment here :*: I've played in many bands over the past 30 or so years and always chosen valve Amplification until.
I purchased a Line6 Vetta Amp a couple of years ago, and never looked back, a great amp.
For live work I use a line6 Pod XT Live and a Tweeked 1979 Peavey Nashville Session 400, 210W Peavey tone through a 15'' Blackwidow Speaker, A solid state Amp that sounds superb with the Pod XT through it.
I wouldn't go back to Valve Amps I sold ALL my vintage gear and even a recently purchased Hayden 60 W valve 2x12 combo, which I couldn't resist at the time.
That money went on a Peavey Bandit a great amp for rehearsals and small gigs.
Valve gear needs regular maintenance, re-tubing, and hates being bashed about in the back of the Customatix tour Van.
Valve state Amps are loud always louder than most solidstate gear.
I like my chosen pedal/Amp, it really works and aint just for bedroom guitarists the XT Live is really spot on pedal on stage or in the studio.

Have a good look round for some vintage Peavey gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:34 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I have a few Fender tube amps. I won't use anything else - there's nothing better than the sound of a valve amp on the verge of overdriving. It's finding one of these that has a 'sweet spot' at a volume that you are comfortable with - the point where the power tubes are working hard but not distorting to hell.

I have a Fender '65 RI Twin reverb (85W), '65 Deluxe Reverb (22W), Vibroking (60W) and a tweed deluxe (18W). Each one has its own characteristics. The tweed deluxe and a Fender Nocaster are an absolutely amazing combination - instant James Burton C1958..... 8) I've found that single channel amps are the best for me - if I want overdrive, then I either turn the deluxe up on full or use a Fulltone Fulldrive with the Vibroking or '65Twin.

http://www.myspace.com/stevebillybuckley

http://www.myspace.com/thewagontrain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:42 pm 
The Boss

i've just got an original 63 tremolux its awesome by a mile the best amp i have ever owned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:44 am 
Too much time on my hands

Are you going to gig it?

That cherry 335 of yours will sound killer through it........ :wink:

http://www.myspace.com/stevebillybuckley

http://www.myspace.com/thewagontrain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:09 pm 
The Boss

yes and it does...........its evil :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:37 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

thanks for the advice everyone - it's interesting you should mention modelling amps customatix, I was mulling over the merits of a cyber twin vs a twin the other day, but annoyingly nowhere by mine seems to have a cyber twin to try - i live near southport myself and rimmers never seem to have anything like that in, and a visit to liverpool proved fruitless on saturday :-(

I'm not in a band at the moment, but I would like to buy something that I can gig in case something comes up in the future.

I've always been a valve advocate; a mate of mine has a Marshall AVT, and although it sounds alright, you can tell the difference between it and a proper valve amp by miles; saying that, the cyber twin is twice as expensive and a proper modelling amp so I'm guessing it's gonna sound a lot better. I'm just wondering about the versatility of a modelling amp vs say a twin with a few choice pedals, both to use at home and possibly as a live set up. Anyone got any thoughts?

Sorry to drone on about this by the way, haha.