Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11053 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 730, 731, 732, 733, 734, 735, 736, 737  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

loftyeric2 wrote:
Where shall I begin? :evil: :roll: The heating's on too high at work, there were dogs barking outside just now - at five am, on bonfire night people were parking so far on the pavement outside my house that pedestrians were having to walk in the road, my laptop STILL hasn't come back from being repaired and bloody Christmas is coming. Will that do for a start? :wink: :wink: Good news though - the damaged wall next door is now under repair. I asked the builder if he could incorporate some spikes in it :Oink:

HaHaHa :*: brilliant, that's more like it :-D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:22 am 
Hawleytastic!

I fucking hate and despise the Tories and the DUP, their paymasters.

Had to get that one out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:11 pm 
Hawleytastic!

This is my home town. It breaks my heart.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:52 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Hating Johnson even more. Not my Prime Minister.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:38 am 
Hawleytastic!

Despair that all those Tory members thought he was the dude for the job...with his track record of bluff bluster lies bullshit...ahhhh hang on...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:03 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Building work on next door neighbour's extension starts next week, after a lot of discussion & re drawing of plans - the first draught of which actually incorporated my bathroom into their construction, taking off the roof & building onto it :shock: I think the neighbour naively thought I wouldn't be notice, and that the architect was taking several diabolical liberties. Even so, more of the construction will be attached to my house than it will be to theirs & there'll be disruption to my roof tiles. Already had them digging in my garden to re route the drains. Going to be like World War 111 when it all starts, with all the noise. Walls are so thin that I can hear them stirring their tea, so drilling holes will be a whole new nightmare - literally, as working nights I'll be trying to sleep in the mornings when it's all going on, right behind my bedroom. I've lived here for 39 years & in all that time no one at the house next door has found it necessary to build onto it. Current neighbours only arrived three years ago and I strongly suspect that they'll move on in due course. I just want to be left in peace, without all this shit going on around me :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:07 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Lofty, you have my sincere condolences, the one thing I dread more than anything else is other peoples noise.
I don't quite know how to ease your anxiety, apart from the fact that these things do eventually pass eventually and I say this from 1st hand experience.
Hang on in there and the good will out.
Stay healthy, stay safe, stay positive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:56 am 

Thank you ..> It's just the nuisance factor really, that & the fact that with the way our two houses are joined - corner to corner, they've taken huge liberties with the design & the way it sits against my house's rear wall. These are very old houses & not really suited to modern additions. One cheerful thought - I doubt the new construction will last 120 years like the original building has done :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:06 am 

Well, that was a shit of a week! For five hours on two days the builders next door, here to build a kitchen extension, were knocking down the existing kitchen which, as it was attached to the rear of my house, meant every blow shook the place. Not to mention keeping me awake as I work nights & sleep in the morning. Neighbour clearly untroubled by the disruption - to me & her own house - held a genteel dinner party in her front garden & later posted a picture of her demolition site, featuring a piece of artwork she'd made, saying how good the light was now the roof was off. Friday morning the builders weren't here, so the ones across the road did a fine job of making sure I got no sleep by cutting up paving slabs on the back of their pickup for most of the day.
I'm not a warm weather person, to put it mildly. Hot weather makes me miserable. As my house is very small it holds the heat & being right on the pavement - no front garden - noise from the road is intrusive if I open the downstairs windows. Yesterday though it was almost too hot to breathe so I opened one. I was just dozing after dinner, before going to work, when I get woken up by two people who've stopped to have a very loud conversation right under the open window, joined by their dogs having a good yap at each other. I'm not one for telling strangers to fuck off but should this happen again I won't be responsible for my actions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

I feel your pain - couple two floors above me replaced their kitchen and the entire block has to share the noise. Third new kitchen in that flat in six years (three different owners). Not aware, though, of anyone living here who is on nights so slightly less annoying than your situation.

We all appreciate others have to do this kind of work and it does have an impact but it is normal to chat to your neighbours and possibly reach a compromise.

I'm used to heavy traffic noise (so during lock down it was quite pleasant having virtual silence in a busy London area and I could actually hear birdsong!) but it didn't stop the idiots at the bus stop right (which is alongside our garden) shouting and shrieking and frequently having altercations (due to not being allowed to get on the buses due to social distancing).

Ever thought of taking one of the anti-histamines that make you drowsy as an occasional measure to knock you out? So long as you only do it on an occasional basis they aren't habit forming.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:18 am 

Yes, I have tried one of those anti-histamine sleeping things occasionally. I find they work better sometimes than others. The strange thing is if it was winter & cold I could have slept through all of it - I sleep like the dead in the winter. Summer is another matter, the whole season, for me, is like dragging a ton weight behind me.
The extension project next door has been a bit of a nightmare. The original plans were drawn showing part of the structure built over my bathroom roof - actually onto my brickwork! There have been a lot of trips back to the drawing board. Amazingly we haven't fallen out over it but great liberties have been taken & I'm still going to end up with more of the construction connected to my house than to that of the owner, due to the configuration of the original buildings. These are Victorian cottages & for reasons now unknown the rear wall of my house is only one width of brick - 4 1/2" - so anything being attached is being carefully monitored lest the fixings come right through. In fact where a lintel has been removed it is possible to see the rear side of my interior plaster.
I doubt the neighbour will stay here forever - they only moved in three years ago - & I'm very disappointed that all this disruption has come about after living here for nearly 40 years without anyone wishing to involve me in their 'improvements'.
As for noise in the street, what ever happened to politeness & not speaking at the top of your voice outside someone's open window?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:58 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

loftyeric2 wrote:
As for noise in the street, what ever happened to politeness & not speaking at the top of your voice outside someone's open window?

Whatever happened to politeness & not speaking at the top of your voice, period :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:26 am 

Well, it had to happen didn't it. The building work next door has caused the render to crack on the outside wall of my bathroom - an expensive bit of renovation that is only 12 months old. To say I'm not happy is an understatement. I've been polite up till now, but she will shortly be hearing my full opinion of her building project, the design of which has taken great liberties in using my house as one of its walls.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:37 am 

And now it turns out everything's my fault! I sent a polite but firm message to the neighbour saying how unhappy I was that damage had been caused to my house & expressing concern that technical guidelines had not been adhered to. I received a reply stating that she'd 'bent over backwards' to give me peace of mind over the works. I wonder if that includes not carrying out any due diligence prior to making plans to build off my walls; planning, originally, with the architect to build on top of my single storey bathroom, and informing other, unconnected, neighbours of the planned start date two months in advance, whereas I received just four days notice. I'm also led to believe that ''the sooner the kitchen extension is complete the sooner we will both benefit from it''. Will she really not mind if I pop in & help myself to what's in the oven then?.....
All along I've been pretty pissed off about this & now I've told her, she too is pissed off, & tells me I am causing her great stress. Well, welcome to the party :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:15 pm 
Hawleytastic!

loftyeric2 wrote:
And now it turns out everything's my fault! I sent a polite but firm message to the neighbour saying how unhappy I was that damage had been caused to my house & expressing concern that technical guidelines had not been adhered to. I received a reply stating that she'd 'bent over backwards' to give me peace of mind over the works. I wonder if that includes not carrying out any due diligence prior to making plans to build off my walls; planning, originally, with the architect to build on top of my single storey bathroom, and informing other, unconnected, neighbours of the planned start date two months in advance, whereas I received just four days notice. I'm also led to believe that ''the sooner the kitchen extension is complete the sooner we will both benefit from it''. Will she really not mind if I pop in & help myself to what's in the oven then?.....
All along I've been pretty pissed off about this & now I've told her, she too is pissed off, & tells me I am causing her great stress. Well, welcome to the party :roll:

You need to get the law involved if it's damaged your property. That's shocking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11053 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 730, 731, 732, 733, 734, 735, 736, 737  Next