Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:23 pm 
I need a life

I think most of the population in Birmingham forgot the meaning of being polite; nobody says Good Morning, or thank you or goodbye, nothing at all. I work in a shop and I am very polite by nature, and I feel like a right ass everytime I say thank you or goodbye, cause nobody answer back. You got the odd person, who smiles back at least, but most of the time, is like speaking to the wall, and if they aknowledge you, they just stare at you with big wide eyes like you speaking to them in japanese!!, and they just say "you what"?. And is not only spoiled teenagers, is midle age people too just plain rude, with no manners at all.

Is depressing. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:26 pm 
Hawleytastic!

It certainly is - its the same in London - nobody wants to know they're all just so committed to getting where they're going..........

Keep going as you are Louise - good manners still count these days, and after all - treat other people as you would like to be treated yourself and you can't go far wrong.................. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:37 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

I absolutely can't stand impolite people - there's just no excuse for it. I ALWAYS try to be cheerful and polite, even when I'm feeling like shite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:42 pm 
Hawleytastic!

maggie wrote:
I absolutely can't stand impolite people - there's just no excuse for it. I ALWAYS try to be cheerful and polite, even when I'm feeling like shite.

Me too. In primary school I remember we were always asked to hold the door, no matter how far away the other person was. I still do this.

I did it today in school and one of the science technicians (she was only a few metres away!!) glared at me and said, "I could have got that." :evil: But I shall persist :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

I'm still using a stick to get around (almost recovered, but not quite) and it's amazing how few people open doors or stand for you. I genuinely accidentally caught the foot of the guy in the priority seat this morning - but glad I did as eventually he stood for me. Mind you the other 50 odd people who were seated were as bad as him.

And doors - well even people I work with just let them go in your face and it's definitely less easy to manoeuvre when using a stick.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:50 pm 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

Yeah...there's nothing worse...............some bloke lent right over me the other day whilst I was browsing a publication....no 'excuse me' nothing....just took the paper suituated behind the one I was browsing..........................I called him a 'pig'...I mean, I couldn't help it....................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:08 pm 
I need a life

Sometimes I have to bite my tongue, and keep quite, is a great effort to remain calm, and control the anger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:15 pm 
Hawleytastic!

London is the worst for rudeness, and the tube is truly horrendous ... I prefer a later start and finishing late to avoid the pushing, shoving and aggression. I try to be polite and offer my seat or on occasion hankies when called for ... what is it about the tube?

And I am always polite to shop assistants, BigLouise :*: ... please, thank you ... and any chance of a discount?! :wink:

... Glasgow definitely the friendliest place to shop. :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:25 pm 
Hawleytastic!

i was at sainsbury's the other day and approached an atm, an... ahem lady barged in front of me, so i took a step back.
the gent on the other atm had finished so i approached it, but obviously hers was out of order so she side stepped in front of me, again i stepped back.
i was brought up good me, i counted to 10, silly tart. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:56 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

maggie wrote:

yeah it never ceases to amaze me that people just cant pretend to be friendly at work, if they're in a job where they're in contact with the general public - i mean for god's sake yer bein paid for it!! it really p*sses me off when you get someone who obviously cannot be arsed to help you and makes no effort to cover that up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:31 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I worked in a bank for quite a few years, and we were trained always to engage in eye contact with customers, to establish a good customer experience. Sounds corny I know, but it did help when you had to tell them they were overdrawn, or their cheque hadn't cleared, etc etc. (Difficult to maintain with one 'lady' in particular, who used to keep her passbook down her bra!)

Sadly an awful lot of shops/services don't seem to encourage their staff to be polite to customers. How many times have you been served by someone who interrupts his/her conversation with another member of staff to say 'Three pounds fifty', and just hold their hand out for the money? They then slap the change into your hand and blithely continue their conversation. No eye contact, no please, no thank you, no nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:03 pm 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I can't stand impolite behaviour. One incident at the supermarket made me smile though. I took my goods to the checkout. The spiky haired lad starts passing them over the barcode thing, without a word. Then he pauses with one item, looks at his price chart, looks at me, holding the item up...''Celery, yeah?'' ''Spring onions'' says I. ''oh...right''.....Heaven help us :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:32 am 
Hawleytastic!

I like to remember the unhelpful young men (this one doesn't work with women) at the supermarket checkout ... and then wait .... wait for that time when it goes ... red wine ... chocolate ... pain killers ... ice cream ... cake ... more cake ... more red wine ... more ice cream ... more chocolate .... and then the special monthly girlie products, on special offer, multiple packs ... guaranteed :oops: from them and :twisted: from me. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:37 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

''Woman's Realm'' comes out monthly now then? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:38 am 
Hawleytastic!

loftyeric2 wrote:
''Woman's Realm'' comes out monthly now then? :wink:

:*: :*: :*: you so get this. :wink: