Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:48 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Phil King wrote:

I think we should maybe just get things in to perspective.
It's not like she was General Pinochet or General Franco or somesuch.

I've nothing to add to the eloquent opinions about Thatcher other than to say she was an avid supporter of Pinochet when he was temporarily banged up here a few years back. A fascist torturer. Doesn't that speak volumes about her...?

- http://www.chrismsaunders.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:57 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I'd almost forgotten about this anti-Maggie ditty but rediscovered it today. Elvis Costello - interview plus performance - Tramp the dirt down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Znn5a-88tY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:48 am 
Hawley Groupie

Phil King wrote:
OK I might not be in quite the same boat as working class Sheffielders (which I assume you might be) but I've still had to subscribe to the hard-working ethics of Mrs.T's legacy. Say Mrs. Thatcher benefitted 70% of the population at the expense of the 30%? In which case it wouldn't be unreasonable for a lot of people to have thought she'd given them a fair crack (and this doesn't neccessarily preclude the working class).

Well no, I'm not from Sheffield but from the same 'place'. And I think you have it right actually - to the 'expense' of the 30%, which would be OK if everyone had the slightest of opportunities to take a part in the new prosperity, but Thatch knew full well there would be economic 'collateral damage' but thought the 'short sharp shock' would be appreciated by all.

Wrong. As you can see, it left a deep impression on a generation. We're not being trendy with our Thatch-bashing - she is polarising. If you're lucky enough to be one of the people who benefitted, all is good and rosy. But if you're one of those left shell-shocked by having the rug pulled from under your feet in one generation, then you aren't going to be persuaded. I guess you had to be 'there' - or, 'here' to know what that's about.

Watching my mum work herself into the ground (self employed and all) only to have poll tax thrown at her, ultimately meaning I had to leave home at 18, was probably the biggest insult to someone who was the kind of Brit that Thatch supposedly championed.

What a con.

the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:47 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

Yes, yes and thrice yes Speedy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:08 pm 
Regular poster

may sound cruel but i have no sympathy about her condition,absolutely hate the woman,horrible person, no tears shed by me when she goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:52 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
Watching my mum work herself into the ground (self employed and all) only to have poll tax thrown at her, ultimately meaning I had to leave home at 18, was probably the biggest insult to someone who was the kind of Brit that Thatch supposedly championed.

I'm with Speedyvespa. I was one of those lucky kids who had to pack in my studies after the miners strike. The strike broke up my family & funnily enough,my mum also ended up working for peanuts in order to put food on the table. Fucking brilliant. Guess what I got paid as well ?....£25 a week on a YTS scheme. I'm not bitter....much. She was a genius though - at victimising working families whose income was generated from steel & coal....and selling off state assets on the cheap, whilst pissing away peak North Sea oil & gas revenues in order to generate big tax breaks to people who didn't need them.
But then she could wave a flag really nicely at the Tory party conferences.

Last edited by Havenhand on Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:08 am 
Hawleytastic!

And if you think she was bad towards her fellow country-folk, imagine what she was like when involving us Irish...
But that's a big, BIG row and I am a happy drunk right now, so I shall retreat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:11 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
And if you think she was bad towards her fellow country-folk, imagine what she was like when involving us Irish...
But that's a big, BIG row and I am a happy drunk right now, so I shall retreat.

Let me guess...she shat all over you as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:13 am 
Hawleytastic!

Havenhand wrote:
Let me guess...she shat all over you as well?

Slightly, yes.
Let's just say, when she dies, I will be throwing a party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:19 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

....and I'll be throwing up whilst watching the state funeral.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:16 am 
Hawley Groupie

Havenhand wrote:
I'm with Speedyvespa. I was one of those lucky kids who had to pack in my studies after the miners strike. The strike broke up my family & funnily enough,my mum also ended up working for peanuts in order to put food on the table. Fucking brilliant. Guess what I got paid as well ?....£25 a week on a YTS scheme. I'm not bitter....much. She was a genius though - at victimising working families whose income was generated from steel & coal....and selling off state assets on the cheap, whilst pissing away peak North Sea oil & gas revenues in order to generate big tax breaks to people who didn't need them.
But then she could wave a flag really nicely at the Tory party conferences.

Sounds like we had an almost identical trip, but it doesn't surprise me, it's a story of the kind I've heard over and over. Strangely, someone mentioned weller lyrics earlier in the thread - and that was all very well reflected in The Style Council's 'Homebreakers'. Prophetic, to say the least, I guess that's why he meant a lot to some of us back then...

Father's in the kitchen, counting out the coins,
Mother's in the bedroom, looking through pictures of her boys,
One is in London, looking for a job -
The other's in Whitehall - looking for those responsible

(Totally off topic - anyone heard the new weller LP? Wow.)

the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:04 am 
Regular

maggie (poster not the ex PM) wrote something about 'spreading it round' (wealth) a bit more. While I agree that that is fairer we still can't get away from the truth that we still live in a very much capitalist society.

The difference is that it is capitalism gone all 'fluffy'.

We still have our 'losers' in society ( aconvenient epithet - not my personal sentiment) such as those in 'sink' estates and people in shite demeaning jobs (i've had to do quite a few myself in the past).

We still don't give a shit for the poor and underpriveleged but we just pretend we do ( is all the difference). At least with Thatcher she didn't pretent to be nicey-nicey (there rant over)......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:55 am 
Hawley Groupie

that C*NT thatcher needs a fooking spade up the back of the head and i am the man to do it

she is without doubt the most evil c*nt on earth and i fookin hate er :evil: :evil: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:49 pm 
Hawleytastic!

juevert wrote:
that C*NT thatcher needs a fooking spade up the back of the head and i am the man to do it

she is without doubt the most evil c*nt on earth and i fookin hate er :evil: :evil: :twisted:
Youve not met me mother in law then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:10 pm 
Hawleytastic!

snapper wrote:
Phil King wrote:

I think we should maybe just get things in to perspective.
It's not like she was General Pinochet or General Franco or somesuch.

I've nothing to add to the eloquent opinions about Thatcher other than to say she was an avid supporter of Pinochet when he was temporarily banged up here a few years back. A fascist torturer. Doesn't that speak volumes about her...?

and I'll add to this by saying that if her apologists need to invoke Pinochet to gain perspective then there is something very wrong. We should set out own standards. She was and is a disgrace of a person and did huge amount sof harm to this country and the people who live in it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next