Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: why?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:13 pm 
The Boss

why when we live in a country with a deep and ancient culture and history with one of the best education systems(supposedly)in the world is our TV so fucking shit?I rarely if ever sit and watch it but as i have just had one evening off and a full whole day to myself,which i have to tell you is so rare in my life that days off are like dodo eggs.Right back to the point..i mean didn't we invent TV?Don't we have the BBC one of the best television stations in the world for quality programmes?We have that pile of camel excrement called free view..................it astounds me that they can fill so many channels with soooooooooooooooooooo much awful shite...its not interesting or stimulating.i mean if you find a shopping channel interesting then you must live,at best,at the bottom of a pond........................if you find big brother interesting you are dead from the neck up....and almost everything else is well below sea level if you understand me...all the films are dreadful cheap american crap...........i despair i really do......i am so so shocked.......i think sobriety is a weird place how the FUCK do you cope with it?I only watched it in the vain hope of finding SOMETHING good for two hours this evening but after that i was losing the will to live.

i tell you what...................never again will i stay sober long enough to see how culturally impoverished we have become through the lunatics lantern we call Television,I intend from this day forth to descend to the happy fathomless joys of eternal inebriation..............goodbye..........forever :BEEEER

note to self..NEVER LEAVE THE PUB IT HAS ACTUAL PEOPLE IN IT.......WITH BRAINS AND CONVERSATION............NEVER LEAVE THE PUB. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:02 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Given the chance, what would you put on the TV? Maybe you'd abolish it altogether? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:10 am 
I need a life

:thumright:

with you all the way mate, cob the fooker in the bin, i got rid of mine six months ago, best thing i ever did, would rather eat my own dung than buy another one

Micheal Franti was bang on the money back in '88 when he wrote the lyrics to Televison (Drug of The Nation)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgOWTM5R2DA

heres the original by The Beatnigs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82m6FrqHFFg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:03 am 

I have a load of old British black & white films on video, which I taped during the '80s. I must get one of those recorders, which transfer video to DVD. Lots of old B movies and Edgar Wallace 'Man Of Mystery' short films. Really unsophisticated, but very nostalgic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:06 am 
Site Admin

I have the sky box and to be honest I just keep it for the football and the histroy channel, I do not know how many hundred channels I have there but fuck me I have never had so many TV channels but never was there so little worth watching either, like I say the histroy channel, discovery and the football and that otherwise fucking forget about it, reality tv bollocks, diy, houses in the sun and lodas of crappy movies that probably never even saw a cinema release.

Think of television, one of THE most amazing inventions ever as a medium of education, enlightenment, communication and yet its throwing 90% bollocks at us, what went wrong ?

pub next time eh :wink:

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:16 am 

I do put my TV on in the evenings. I like to have it rabitting away in the corner. Quite often go & do something elsewhere in the house though.
I like the odd drama etc. Can't really be doing with American stuff. Nothing personal to any Americans mind :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:42 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

There's money to be made from advertising - therefore they create more channels to advertise on and fill it up with pointless shows that no-one ever watches.

My parents have the sky TV, but I'm happy enough with just the 4 main stations.. and a very blurry channel 5. Even so, I rarely watch what's on.

Any good shows (there are some) can be found on demand online with the ads cut out, so why bother with a telly at all?

http://myspace.com/francisdonaghy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:23 am 
Gimmie 6 !

it's all about Takeshis Castle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:18 am 
Hawleytastic!

pretty much dont watch anything on TV anymore. just use mine to watch dvds on.

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:53 am 
Hawleytastic!

loftyeric2 wrote:
I have a load of old British black & white films on video, which I taped during the '80s. I must get one of those recorders, which transfer video to DVD. Lots of old B movies and Edgar Wallace 'Man Of Mystery' short films. Really unsophisticated, but very nostalgic.

Hey Loftyeric - if you ever do, let me know - I'd love to buy a copy of the Edgar Wallace stuff from you! :D :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:57 am 
Hawleytastic!

What a shame the programme didn't live up to your expectations Richard............ :cry:

I don't watch an awful lot any more (except I did watch The Hotel Inspector last night which was amusing with the personalities)............ I do sometimes have the TV on for a bit of background, but quality TV programmes have long since gone (except Dr Who which I have totally fallen in love with since they revamped it).

All the programmes these days are clones of each other - if a reality show is successful then we suffer years of reality shows, same with DIY shows (Changing Rooms)............. its all about fashion these days! :?

And I read now that after September there will no longer be the same restrictions on adverts during programmes - if there's anything to watch on non-BBC channels it will be much better to wait for the DVD than have to sit through half hour of mind-numbing sales pitches!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:42 am 
Hawleytastic!

Why? :roll: :roll: .... Doctor Who :Hoorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:51 am 
Hawleytastic!

Hey - isn't it Benecassim highlights on the telly tonight? So it can't be all bad................ mind you that's assuming that they show Richard.......... ! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:03 am 
Waitrose Warrior

BBC4 and UKTV history is about all i ever watch these days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:08 am 
Hawleytastic!

Luke M wrote:
BBC4 and UKTV history is about all i ever watch these days

yes quite sad when you've got 350 channels and you only ever watch two. i only ever switch between Red Hot Amateur Wives and CeeBeeBees nowadays. :roll:

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...