Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: "Assessment Tests"
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:13 am 
Waitrose Warrior

:evil: :cry:

whatever happened to good, old-fashioned interviews?

I get all set up for what I assume is going to be a standard interview, doing all my research, preparing answers to all the likely questions, prepared EVERYTHING....only to find I, and 8 other fellow candidates would be sheparded into a room and have our suitability for the job based on an inconsequential, 45-minute test under "exam conditions"

what the hell can these kind of tests tell you about the INDIVIDUAL??? Any whizz-kid with a computer (and I am not) can do that but surely the employers would find absolutely NOTHING out about the individuals and their strengths and what they can bring to a role.

Sorry to go on but I am quite upset and feel I haven't got YET ANOTHER job, this time because I have been completely, utterly and totally denied the chance to express and demonstrate my personal strengths. Instead, my and the other candidates were subjected to a process which seemed designed to make the recruitment process for the employer based on well I don't know what, but certainly not our INDIVIDUAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES

Sorry but I am quite upset

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:38 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

I've been heavily involved recently in recruitment where I work.
I have to say it's all pretty laid back.......candidates are invited for tea and cake usually in the evening to meet everyone,and my manager and I just casually mingle with the candidates and suss out whether they have the right attitude and if they will fit in etc. Following day candidates are invited for a formal interview,that would just involve me and my manager,after asking all of the person specification bits we just ask the candidate to tell us all about themselves,strengths,weaknesses,what they can bring to the service if selected..........
I personally contact everyone,whether successful or not....those we do not offer jobs to,well I pass their details onto other services in the hope that they may have something to offer that person.
Your recent experience sounds vile.........no chance whatsoever for you to 'shine'.............................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:01 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Sorry to hear that Luke - it depends what the test consisted of - it might have been to draw out different sets of skills before they get to the personality and individual - technical or problem solving skills and the like can sometimes be gleaned from such tests, at one point in the Police they were testing grammar, dictation and spelling which could be used for statement taking.

So the tests could have been relevant to the job, but its a shame they didn't let you know beforehand that this was a test and not an actual interview at that stage.

However, look on the bright side - if you didn't pass for whatever reason it might be that you weren't quite right for that job and better to find out now than to have problems later?

There will be other jobs out there, don't worry! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:03 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

The Baroness wrote:
There will be other jobs out there, don't worry! :wink:

Being an assassin I hear can be quite lucrative :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

On second thoughts I think I might as well just shoot myself :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Have you asked for feedback from previous interviews? Then you can see what isn't coming over properly and improve it...........?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:07 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

The Baroness wrote:
Have you asked for feedback from previous interviews? Then you can see what isn't coming over properly and improve it...........?

oh yes :roll: i asked for feedback for the one before this and the reply was "unfortunately we are unable to provide any feedback"

thanks.

Put another nail in my coffin if you must, but give me a goddamned reason for it :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I took one of those physcometric tests as a part of a job interview years a go - they said I'd passed the test but didn't get the job as I was a physco...

Just trying to cheer thee up...

Needless to say I went in the office and killed the lot of them a week later...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:08 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Luke M wrote:
The Baroness wrote:

oh yes :roll: i asked for feedback for the one before this and the reply was "unfortunately we are unable to provide any feedback"

thanks.

Put another nail in my coffin if you must, but give me a goddamned reason for it :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry:

No feedback is terrible Luke...........................I am in recruitment.............and I would always give feedback if asked....................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:13 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

Poppy Dog wrote:
I took one of those physcometric tests as a part of a job interview years a go

this wasn't just part of the interview - there was NO interview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:16 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

they usually use them to screen applicants prior to interview. strange to go on that alone, unless they call you back for interview once the results of the test are in :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:19 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

sunflower wrote:
they usually use them to screen applicants prior to interview. strange to go on that alone, unless they call you back for interview once the results of the test are in :)

well there was no mention of people being called back.

anyway, i am throughly depressed. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:35 pm 
Luke M wrote:
sunflower wrote:

well there was no mention of people being called back.

anyway, i am throughly depressed. :cry:

There not going to call anybody back until they've looked at the tests though are they so they couldn't have said anything then. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:40 pm 
Hawleytastic!

craig's right on this one luke. Give them time to look at the test results, they might just love you. Stay positive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:45 pm 
Yes Luke, you'll find i'm a cunt the rest of the time though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Oh No you're not Craig! You're just a big teddy bear - I saw you on my hols - I cut me off the pic so people won't talk :wink:

Luke, you need to await the outcome of the screening process. Companies and organisations use these tests to look for a certain profile of person to suit the particular job. They will probably interview a short list after the initial screening.

My son has been looking for a job in York while he's at uni. He really wanted to work at M&S but simply cannot pass their profiling interview because he is obviously not an 'M&S Type'. He's been offered a job in Waterstones and also some tuition work for a tutor agency which pays much better. Why not try something like that?

Last edited by Jan H on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.