Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

the scissors sisters are wank
yes 81%  81%  [ 22 ]
no 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject: Not far enough
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:19 am 
Regular

ppllleeeaaaaaaaaaaasssssseeee, do you really think a group of harmless homo's would be so esoteric? If you really think so then what about Joy Division (named after the brothel house in auschwitz)? New Order? this debate (?) is truly now scraping the sediment, however, if someone can argue the virtues of pink fucking floyd then i would be more than willing to listen, (to be quite honest i thought punk had blasted those over rated pomp rock acid casualties to the dark side of uranus) till then, if you are seeking hidden nazi messages then look no further than examining the lyrics of guns and roses or WHITEsnake.REMEMBER: Truth is subjective, which is why i live to the maxim.....NOTHING IS TRUE.....EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED (includiing pink floyd and the scissor sisters unfortunately).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:38 am 
Hawleytastic!

'Everything is Permitted'??? Nope, can't go with that...in music yes, I just don't have to listen to something that is crap (whether it be Pink Floyd, The Darkness or Scissor Sisters) but in life, no-way! If everything is permitted, and we take this to a logical conclusion, then it's OK for racists to abuse my 12 year old son in the street? (for example) Sorry, I can't go with that...in fact it's complete nonsense.

Post subject: permit
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:56 pm 
Regular

your views are permitted, however caryn you have missed the important first part of the maxim..........NOTHING is true, you may consider this ancient addage nonsense but then again some of the best things in life make no sense, to quote the Talking Heads (one of americas finest) STOP MAKING SENSE

Post subject: Re: permit
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

prior to intercourse wrote:
your views are permitted, however caryn you have missed the important first part of the maxim..........NOTHING is true, you may consider this ancient addage nonsense but then again some of the best things in life make no sense, to quote the Talking Heads (one of americas finest) STOP MAKING SENSE

Certainly some of the best things in life make no sense...I'm not arguing with that!!
Let's be honest though, the quote is a bit cliche, isn't it? I mean, how do we define what 'making sense' even means anyway and, for that matter, how do we know what is true?

Post subject: hmmmmmm
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:05 pm 
Regular

absolutely my point, can we prove anything. Cliche's are the armature of the absolute according to Alfred Jarry. The original quote is from Hassan I Sabbah, a persian thinker who commanded a band of hashisheens (or asassins). He held a mountain fortress in persia for over 50 years with his wit and wisdom.

Post subject: Re: hmmmmmm
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:18 pm 
Hawleytastic!

absolutely my point, can we prove anything. Cliche's are the armature of the absolute according to Alfred Jarry. The original quote is from Hassan I Sabbah, a persian thinker who commanded a band of hashisheens (or asassins). He held a mountain fortress in persia for over 50 years with his wit and wisdom.

And a lot of weapons, I expect?!! *

Post subject: Re: hmmmmmm
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:44 pm 
Regular

And a lot of weapons, I expect?!! *[/quote]

Actually no, just the assasins dagger, fuelled by copious amounts of hashish

Post subject: Re: Not far enough
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:19 pm 
Emoticon Consultant

if someone can argue the virtues of pink fucking floyd then i would be more than willing to listen, (to be quite honest i thought punk had blasted those over rated pomp rock acid casualties to the dark side of uranus)

I suppose its a matter of taste and I wasnt there when the punkscene exploded, neither when Pink Floyd were concidered one of the biggest groups of british psycedelic scene(sorry i dont know how its spelled), neither when Barett had gone, and their next two albums are supposed to be the most influental of prog rock for the next generation, and groups like marillion, porcupine Tree, godspeed, sigur ros and even radiohead and smashing pumpkins -and i m sure i forgot a lot right now-have given credits to pink floyd for being influenced by them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:39 pm 
Too much time on my hands

If I'd influenced Porcupine Tree I think I'd keep quiet about it... :twisted:

No, I can't stand Pink Floyd either, except maybe some of the Barrett stuff (and even that gets on your wick a bit). But however much punks might have wanted to destroy music like the bloated whale that the Floyd had become by then, it's been obvious since about 1979 that they didn't. You don't need to listen to a lot of the music that was successful in the eighties to notice that. A lot of punk was pretty pompous itself, when you look at it now.

Besides which, Never Mind the Bollocks is a lot further from us, chronologically, than it was from Dark Side of the Moon. It was my parents' generation that bought the punk records, and it was my dad who put pictures of the New York Dolls on his dad's fireplace.

Daggers are weapons too, you know. And stab wounds are real.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:07 pm 
Emoticon Consultant

Extreme Rice wrote:
If I'd influenced Porcupine Tree I think I'd keep quiet about it... :twisted:

that means you like porcupine or you dont like them?caue i got confused... :?
anyway, that was my point, for me any group before the 90s is like history, you listened to it but you havent lived it, and i think its different so I m not the most appropriate to talk about the beginning of punk at the late 70s or the earlier progressive scene, because I learnt about it 15 years later i just like Pink Floyd so I tried to learn as much as I could about them , especially the first record with Syd Barett i keep it locked in the house! :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:48 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I don't like Porcupine Tree, no. I do like Radiohead, of course, but I don't like all the music that influenced them. Mind you, I like the Beatles but I don't like everything that they influenced...

You're absolutely right though. We can all view both punk and prog bands with the benefit of hindsight, and with slightly less of the personal baggage around them. Thus there are a few Psychedelic records I like and a good few punk records I like but I don't have to take sides any more. And it's much easier to see what they have in common too.
It's often said - at least in Britain - that you can tell roughly how old somebody is by asking them when the last worthwhile musical fashion was and adding seventeen years. If they say it was punk, they were probably born around 1960, if they say it was acid house they were probably born in about 1971, if they say it was nu-metal they must have been born in about 1984, and so on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:10 am 
Emoticon Consultant

true although when me and my friends started to listen to something more apart from roxxete, belinda carlisle and madona( :oops: ), we were a bit younger, influenced (thank god) by older brothers and sisters, starting from stone roses and manics,and by the time we were 17 this british scene period had ended and spice girls were on..i remember Suede playing in 1995 and we were not allowed the entrance... :(
Since you like Radiohead, have you tried Strangelove?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:00 am 
Having had the misfortune to see their new video for myself a couple of times in the last few days, i'd just like to confirm my original assumption that they are indeed absolutely wank.

I'm sure i saw Mike Timm in the video too :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:27 am 
Flange cheese munching cockend

Craig A wrote:
I'm sure i saw Mike Timm in the video too :shock:

WWWHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Never heard of him!!

.......hold on......didnt he play 'The Gimp' in Pulp Fiction?? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:26 pm 
Hawleytastic!

But on the subject of 'total wank' I see they've just given The Darkness an Ivor Novello award for songwriting. Now someone is taking the piss?!

Last edited by caryne on Sat May 29, 2004 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next