Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:20 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
it aint the bad buyers who have put me off, but eBay policies......

Indeed they are. I rarely sell stuff on Ebay nowadays due to restrictions. The last straw for me was not being able to charge postage for some categories. To cover the costs, I had to sell stuff with a higher start price. This means that Ebay get a cut of the postage charges, as well as the item sold. It all sounds like greed to me.

Quote:
eBay is a veritable gold mine

Yup - I have found specific photo gear on Ebay that would be very hard to source from used dealers.

Quote:
I've also made a few friends on there too

Same here, specifically in Hong Kong and the USA. Now I deal with them direct instead of through Ebay.

Even though I do have a bad experience from time to time, I still have the occasional punt for rare items. Contrary to what I wrote about when I started this thread, I recently purchased a particularly rare macro lens from a German seller. From the correspondence exchanged, I had a good feeling about the deal. When the lens arrived, it was everything I expected it to be. In an ideal world all buyers/sellers would be honest, but this is sometimes not the case.

Cheers, Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:31 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I used to work in the second hand book business and in order to call a book 'mint', 'very good condition', 'good condition' it has to meet quite strict guidelines (like no pages torn, no underlining etc).

It'd be good if ebay had strict guidelines for what you may or may not call 'mint' etc.