Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:24 am 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
well the point you made about bankers is the real one really,if those bastards gave 5% of what they earn we could keep the bloody lot,including the health service or at least prop it up.The thing i find about britain is that when you live here we tend to moan about it but when you have the benefit of travel........and it isn't always positive i can assure you(i wouldn't have got as far as Rill if it wasn't for music by the way)then you actually realise what a boss country we live in.Naming no names as it isn't cool but a hell of a lot of so called 1st world countries barely hold it together and in fact you wonder how the hell they don't break out into revolution any minute now.I wished we valued,as a nation,the real achievement that is BBC and the ~NHS.........i think the money people see them as standing in the way of them making even more money..........cos if we didn't have the BBC then they can advertise on EVERY channel then and we wouldn't be able to avoid it,and if we got rid of the NHS we would have to buy into their medicare schemes and that is a frightening thought.........its like going back in time and i know they aren't perfect but the alternative is very very worrying........

I totally agree about the NHS I worked in Chemists for 11 years and it drove me crazy how people would moan about waiting time at docs, how they couldn't get in and they had a cold :shock: they wanted certain colour tablets cos the blue ones didn't work.................stupid complaints!! One day I said to someone be thankful it's not like America where you have to pay for every bit of treatment, still didn't work people never change. I really think the NHS is fantastic, when I had my son couldn't praise them high enough and those poor midwifes the shit they have to put up with..................like my brother says after being in the navy thank god we were born in this country!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Agree. It’s a strange world we live in. I think Labour has helped win that Thatcherist argument that everything, even public services, have to make a profit. The NHS, schools, councils. Largely, these things are not meant to be money-making enterprises. If you want society to have services, certain standards of care and education, you have to pay for it. And if there isn’t enough money in the pot, stop spending money on things that aren’t important and put it into things that are.
And all the companies they’ve privatised are hardly a good advert for private firms running public services. Post that doesn’t get delivered; trains that are expensive but don’t run on time; gas and electricity that costs so much that people go without heating in the freezing cold.
Honestly, I don’t know if I’m just becoming more moany because I’m getting older but who is pointing out what a complete fuck-up the whole privatisation thing has been. And why are we sleepwalking into a new government, whoever it is, that will slash the fuck out of whatever public services we have left and hand them over the private companies to plunder and destroy.
You know, when I was a teenager I was a demonstrator, a marcher, a change the world-ist. And I feel like, in my forties, I’m going to have to embarrass my children by doing it all again. Or there is a chance I might explode.
And, for Richard, hope today wasn’t too awful. Heartfelt sympathies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:35 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Well.... it's official - it's going to be axed. I am absolutely livid - how short sighted can the 'top brass' be. Wankers :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:36 am 
Regular poster

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8544150.stm

The complete bastards. They’ve created something completely unique (think about it - what’s the closest alternative? None really) but at the end of the day money, or lack of, wins out. They may as well get DLT and Simon Bates back as it’s obvious that DJs who actually give a shit about music aren’t welcome at BBC radio. Can you imagine something like ‘Freak Zone’ being on anywhere else?

You spend five years listening to people telling you that digital radio is the future, so you buy a digital radio and then they axe the one thing you fucking love about digital radio.

Bastards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:58 am 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

All is not lost.As it says in the report there will be further consultation and it has to be passed by the BBC trust.Also the earliest it can close is the end of 2011,so there is still time for a grand campaign.So get involved!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:29 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Today's news is particularly sad. What we are heading towards is a few stations playing the 'same' music which will be a composite of mainstream and the latest spin-offs. No choice is the result.

Interestingly the BBC spokesman who delivered the news appeared to indicate that 'others' (C4?) are better at serving the youth. So why not ditch Radio 1 and BBC3?

Anyone recommend any internet radio pirates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:54 pm 
Regular poster

Having skip read the BBC consultation it seems that the distinctive nature of 6 Music is acknowledged along with its strong listener base. The proposal seems to be to transfer some of the content to Radio 2 to "enhance its distinctiveness" (presumably from Radio 1 and the other commercial stuff that is out there).

As always the devil in the detail and until I hear exactly what will happen to the content from 6 Music I will remain unhappy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:20 am 
Hawleytastic!

CJ Noir wrote:
Can you imagine something like ‘Freak Zone’ being on anywhere else?

I can't imagine my life without the Freak Zone!

I've worked in the radio industry for many years, and know that only the BBC can do this sort thing. Commercial radio just hasn't got the courage to attempt it. Anyone remember the original XFM? And look what happened to that.

This piece is probably one of the best I've read, and sums up some my own feelings. I shall be penning my own letter to the BBC trust.

http://petenottage.blogspot.com/2010/03 ... trust.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:37 pm 

Cheers Simon,that's a very good article.
Positive signs from all the pressure campaigns.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8546696.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:21 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Here's another way to get your voice heard -

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/speakout/BBCcutsSO?js=true

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:55 pm 

The Baroness wrote:
Here's another way to get your voice heard -

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/speakout/BBCcutsSO?js=true

Done this today,only takes a minute or so and you get an email back from the BBC Trust,so it's not a wasted effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:19 pm 
Regular poster

Latest figures reveal a 50% increase in 6 Music listeners to over £1 million.

More info here:

http://www.mediauk.com/radio/rajar/316/bbc-6-music

BBC say 6 Music costs 3.4 pence per listener per hour. Radio 1 costs double that and these figures assume 0.7 million listeners for 6 Music rather than the latest figures.

Any idea when a decision will be made?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:00 am 
Regular poster

Great news, looks like the Thin White Duke has entered the campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/user/0ldScratch# ... HjBPRZCHgQ

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:19 pm 
Too much time on my hands

[quote="Tregolwyn"]Latest figures reveal a 50% increase in 6 Music listeners to over £1 million.

More info here:

http://www.mediauk.com/radio/rajar/316/bbc-6-music

BBC say 6 Music costs 3.4 pence per listener per hour. Radio 1 costs double that and these figures assume 0.7 million listeners for 6 Music rather than the latest figures.

Any idea when a decision will be made?[/quote]

Whenever the halfwit who came up with this idea removes his head from his arse I suppose. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:35 am 
Site Admin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8699519.stm

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music