Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: March 26 Anti Cuts Demo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:36 am 
Hawleytastic!

Just a shout out to those of you who are fed up with the Con Dem government dismantling everything that's worth having in this country. The TUC have organised a demonstration in central London on March 26 and I would appeal to those of you against the cuts to come along, bring your friends and family, and help send a message to this gang of shite that good people value our public services.

You can sign a pledge here, or download campaign material, or see if there is a coach from your area.

http://marchforthealternative.org.uk/why-were-marching/

Off me soapbox now, back to talking about bowels and the Chi Lites. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:54 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

bowels??? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I know a few people who are going. I can't make it that day, but will be there in spirit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:55 am 
Hawleytastic!

This march is going to be massive. Just spoke to a load of dinner ladies who are going in their aprons and a couple of trays of apple crumble on a trolley. And my son's music service are going with their instruments. It's going to be a good day...x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:53 pm 
Hawleytastic!

It just as well I was not planning on marching on Saturday as I have broken my ankle. I hope everyone has a great day and make an impact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:33 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Poor love. Will do a bit of marching for you. Have my friends lovely daughter coming with us who is doing photography at college so will get her to take some nice pictures and try and be technically literate enough to post them somewhere. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:16 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Good to see the March as the top news item at Midday, plenty of Unison folks in the background. Have not seen any of my Union, PCS, yet. They are saying there is greater support than anticipated.
:Hoorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:01 pm 
Hawleytastic!

congratulations to everyone who went, i couldn't go but i wish i'd been there. many of my friends were, and they all had an ace time

i think a crowd of 300,000 is quite a statement.

:Hoorah :Hoorah <*> <*> ..>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:49 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Just in. Was an absolutely brilliant day, people as far as the eye could see, good natured, family friendly, determined. My boys blew their vuvenzelas all the way to Hyde Park and all the way home on the Tube (but nobody minded because the carriage was full of marchers anyway). Met up with some lovely old friends too, people who walked that same way with me in support of the miners and on the poll tax demo all those years ago. Feeling quite happy that I have some kind of leftie tradition to pass on to my kids. Am happy that they care about how other people are and don't just see a world of Nintendo and the Disney Channel. Am proud of them today, they were a complete joy.
And am hoping that this is the start of a real fight against these robbing Tory bastards. And that my bloke has me a well-deserved gin ready... nighty night. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:07 pm 
Hawleytastic!

was a good day and a reminder that we already have a big society and don't need any lectures from Tories who revere a woman who declared there is no such thing as society. The bankers and the rich fuckers at the Ritz need to count themselves lucky a few smashed windows and a bit of paint is all they have to deal with from a peaceful cross section of folk who believe in helping each other out and using an already created system to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:28 pm 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

exapno mapcase wrote:
The bankers and the rich fuckers at the Ritz need to count themselves lucky a few smashed windows and a bit of paint is all they have to deal with .

The real demo,as i could tell from TV,looked a good and worthy day.........it's a shame that the only part of the day that will be remembered is the senseless vandalism and trying to kill the Police again.I can't see another large London march being allowed after this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:30 am 
Hawleytastic!

Didn't see any trouble. If it was 300 hardcore anarchists causing trouble, at a conservative estimate, that's only 1 in a 1,000, better odds than at a football match. Think compared to any other European tradition, Britain gets off lightly on the rioting front. If this were France or Spain, they'd have completely trashed the place.
I turned on the news on Saturday night to see reports of the demo and all I saw for a whole hour was rolling news of a few blokes with dogs on strings throwing stuff at the police. Who's really making the news here, the people who did it or the news agencies that ignored 300,000 marchers and chose to endlessly show the same clips of fools on a constant loop?
Think we can all see through that shit. x

Post subject: Coverage
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:49 am 
Too much time on my hands

Sadly, the only coverage I saw on several TV outlets here in America was of the violence. I'm actually shocked to hear how peaceful it was for you, given the images.

I know to take all coverage skeptically, but this isn't good, especially with tourism interests.

~ K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:04 pm 
Too much time on my hands

All reports from people I know who went suggest this is as close to the truth as any article you'll get on what went on.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/lauri ... lice-young

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Some of the comments reacting to this piece are bizarre in the extreme.

I'm not a great pal of the polis and my main experience of their blinkered attitudes has been at football matches. On Saturday I found them calm and good humoured on the whole though it's fair to say some of them in Piccadilly were looking like they were having to try really hard and the six vans filling up with helmet wearing polis spoke of something else.

I can't understand why the march didn't go down The Mall instead, away from the shops and banks..I assume it's some shite about upsetting the queen. It would make much more sense to have a crowd walking along there than past The Ritz and Fortnum and Masons which are both symbols of the rich and privileged.

There was no secret about the plan to disrupt Fortnum and Mason and to occupy Trafalgar Square later in the day. It's just bad management, never mind bad policing that things could get out of order in the way they appear to have for a short time at least.