Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: broken ankle
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:07 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

So a couple of weeks ago I went to visit a friend of mine in Stratford,and, being in the midst of a late twenties quarter life crisis (!) thought I'd amuse myself but nailing him with a snowball. Anyway, long story short, slip in snow, cracking noise, spiral fracture to ankle, metal plate and two pins, short stay in hospital, and now, an extended amount of time off, was the result. I am so bloody bored of having to sit with my foot up all day every day!!

Has anyone else on the board ever broken their ankle? How long was it until you felt able to go about your day to day business? The guy who did the op told me I'd be hobbling on it within 6 weeks, and fully recovered in 12. I'm only 27 so I'm hoping it'll be sooner rather than later, although googling the subject has got me pretty worried about possible months of being off my feet! :? :twisted: and two weeks after the op I'm starting to panic!! ( why do we trust what we find on google rather than what professionals tell us.. or is that just me?!) Thanks in advance all you kind folk 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:02 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

6 weeks is standard healing time for a broken bone but when it's a weight bearing one you obviously have to be reeeeally careful.

Susie broke her ankle not long ago so she'll tell you better than me, tho I do sympathise because anything that restricts your mobility even temporarily is a king size pain in the arse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:06 am 
Hawleytastic!

My broken ankle was about as minor a break as you can get, an avulsion fracture where the tendon pulled away a fragment of the bone. Nevertheless my ankle was in a cast for 6 weeks and I was off work for a further two weeks after that building up my strength and getting the hang of walking again. It happened 11 months ago, it was the night of that very big moon, not that I was looking at it when I fell, I just put my foot in a grid and fell twisting my ankle. I feel good as new now but haven't attemped any really long or steep walks. I feel a bit vunerable in bad weather and feel an odd twinge of pain.

I am twice your age butchersdog and I hope your recovery goes well. Keep to the advice you are given. I couldn't put any weight on my foot for the first couple of weeks, but had to stop myself falling over. It is so frustrating struggling around on crutches. Luckily my son was off work at the time and brought me food and drinks.

I stopped watching daytime T.V. after the first week, I couldn't take any more. I had a laptop I could use so that helped pass the time, and I read a few books. I had exercises to do after the cast came off to strengthen my leg. It was about 5 months from the break to when I was up to full strength, but I was active enough as soon as the cast came off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:50 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

My mother broke her ankle just over 10 years ago, when I was in University. She had to have a pin and plate job. At the time I was 300 miles away in Aberystwyth in the middle of rehearsals for part of my practical assesment, so I spent most of the time fretting my heart out and ringing the hospital at every chance I got. Thankfully she came out of it ok, but even now she gets little twinges in her legs. It's not nice, it really isn't. Hope you get well soon lovey. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:43 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I was on crutches for a few months when I broke mine. I still get painful aches from time to time.

But not all breaks are the same so don't worry too much.

I was more amazed at how painful using crutches was. I never imagined how hard it would be on my hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:06 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Tell me about it Johnny, I went out for the first time yesterday and I've got massive blisters on my palms!

Thanks for the replies guys. I had my original cast taken off yesterday and replaced with a fiber glass one, which is REALLY bloody tight. I went back to the hospital about it in the afternoon and the nurse/nazi took the huff that I, the patient, dared to question what I'd been given and started dragging my leg about like a rag doll. I'm not being funny, but why do I need to bother keeping it still and taking care if in the hospital they're going to treat it like the leg from a shop dummy!

In the end she made a cut down the side of it but it's still really really uncomfortable. I'm a bit worried that it's going to cut off my circulation or something, the bottom of my foot is just numb. It's all I can do not to cut it off myself (the cast, not my foot!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:25 am 
Hawleytastic!

See how it goes, but if you are worried give them a ring, that's what they told me to do. Don't let the attitude of the nurse you saw put you off.

I went in on the Sunday morning as I expected a long wait on the Saturday night with all the drunks. Also I was on my way back from the hospital visiting my Mother-in-Law.

It was quiet on the Sunday so the chap in the plaster room took the opportunity to train another lady in putting on the heavy initial plaster cast. He took a lot of care doing it to make sure it didn't rub, considering it was only on for two days.

When I had the light weight cast put on they didn't take much care at all so I was worried as he had explained the importance of the inner sock being put on a particular way, and they didn't do it with the cast I was to wear for 6 weeks! I was fine and needn't have worried.

Keep your patience that's my best advice it seems a long time to be out of action. Try to get someone to wait on you, I was lucky sitting waiting for my meals and drinks to arrive but I found myself nagging a bit. It is so difficult to bite your tongue when someone does something different than you would yourself. :wink:

I found it difficult to walk far using the crutches. My technique for getting upstairs was to put the weight on my knee, I daren't use the crutches I would have fallen down backwards and I am just not strong enough.