Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PLOD.........SAC!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:35 am 
Hawleytastic!

Having been caught doing 79 mph on a completely empty motorway in the middle of the day, I have
opted to go on a Police Speed Awareness Course, tomorrow afternoon!

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with speed limits, 20, 30, etc. and even speed cameras, in the
right place and for the right reason, but 79, motorway, middle of nowhere, passing some middle lane
hogging tosser!! :evil:

Anyone done the course?

Post subject: Re: PLOD.........SAC!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:29 pm 
Hawleytastic!

My mate went on one - and was caught speeding on the way back home...

Commiserations - I am one of the slowest drivers on Earth - but do 75 - 80 on the Motorways...

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

My wife did it, she was mortified - doing about 44 in a 40 area. They only offer this as an option to folk who are clearly not tearing the road up and who they think would benefit and take on board the "telling off". Takes a couple of hours I recall. One of those things where you just have to take it. I use a few of the techniques she was taught for holding down my speed - especially in the 30 zone. It's much better than points or a fine

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:08 pm 
Secretly Canadian

4 hours. Dullest 4 hours you'll ever spend. You'll drive home slower than you've ever driven in your life. And it'll wear off in less than a week.

"you ain't afraid of no alleyway when you are the thing in the dark"

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:17 am 
Hawleytastic!

Craig wrote:
4 hours. Dullest 4 hours you'll ever spend. You'll drive home slower than you've ever driven in your life. And it'll wear off in less than a week.

Well, it was only 3 hours so that was a bonus! It goes to 4 hours nationwide from Monday!

It was interesting but only because there was a really good bunch in who were determined to have
their say and try to pull holes in everything the ex plod instructor was telling you.

If I'd been caught at 78 mph instead of 79, the system wouldn't have registered the misdemeanor
and I wouldn't have had to pay £95 for the pleasure. (10% + 2 Rule)

As for not speeding...............found myself doing 80 again on the way home! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:03 pm 
Secretly Canadian

Egg wrote:
Craig wrote:

Well, it was only 3 hours so that was a bonus! It goes to 4 hours nationwide from Monday!

If I'd been caught at 78 mph instead of 79, the system wouldn't have registered the misdemeanor
and I wouldn't have had to pay £95 for the pleasure. (10% + 2 Rule)

What area did your course come under? It was definitely 4 hours when i did it under South Yorks plod.

Also the 10% + 2 rule is a bit misleading, or at least according to what we were told. The discretionary limits as to when they'll actually do you or send a warning vary from force to force, in some areas there's no give (North Wales i think was one).

"you ain't afraid of no alleyway when you are the thing in the dark"

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:02 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I had to go to Hull as I booked the course before 1st April. After that date you can go on a local course.
Hull / Humberside plod had 2 - 3 hour courses, but they have to fall into line with the rest of the UK
from Monday..........so you are correct at 4 hours.

The 10% rule was discussed on a national basis with 1 man saying he had been caught at 34 mph,
this was the point at which the ex plod instructor said he would bet his pension that it was 35 not 34,
as the system wouldn't issue anything within the 10% + 2 rule! :eh?

Plod got a copy of the charge off the web.........35mph!

Having said all that, I think Humberside dibble make it up as they go along! :evil:

Still, no points!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:40 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I did 34 in a 30, got caught and opted for the course (northumbria)

It was 4 hours of pure drivel and pomposity from the instructors.

It just drove home (no pun intended) the point that nobodys perfect, some get away with it some don't and some make a hell of a lot of money out of it.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:13 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I did one a few years ago and it was really good! It started with a police officer telling us what he had to say to relatives whose son/daughter/wife/husband had been killed or seriously injured when he went to their house to break the news. Then a girl came to speak whose brother had been killed by a speeding driver. Next was a paramedic who talked about his job and the type of injuries he saw when attending car accidents. Then a mother spoke about her daughter. It was very hard hitting. It had quite an effect on me and I do watch my speed now in built up areas and particularly near schools.

My husband went to one in Doncaster last year and it was a police officer dribbling on in a stuffy room for several hours. He thought it was a load of bollocks but did learn that the length and spaces between the white lines in the middle of the road indicate when you are approaching a junction. Not quite worth several hours of boredom. They obviously did it much better when they first started doing them. Now it is just a money making exercise.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:53 am 
Hawleytastic!

Basically dont get out of third in a built up area - and keep your revs below 2000 - it fucks off everyone - I have been done three times in 20 years - 40 in a 30 - other folks are right up my arse all the time [matron] - road range is here to stay - enjoy it - wind the fuckers up - adhere to the speed limit - unless your on a motorbike [then fuck the lot of them]...

Apologies - it's Saturday morning - I've seen Ricardo on Later - had a fair few - and am still buzzing - I promise not to swear in a post again before 2017 [God willin'].

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:26 am 
Hawleytastic!

I tend to use the cruise control if it is an area where I don't notice how fast I am going, especially where there are speed cameras. :wink: