Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:58 pm 
Regular poster

Its a bit of a bugbear for me but Saturday night on tv is just getting worse and worse , i admit that i don't like reality tv , i refuse to watch Big Brother , that Jungle thing , anything Strictly , and now we have a reality diving show !!! , and that take me out thing with Paddy which does my head in , surely the powers that be can come up with something better than this , or is this what the great british public want ? .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:29 am 
Hawleytastic!

I saw Mrs Browns Boys a year ago and hated it - I saw it tonight and thought it quite funny...

Anyway after about 20 minutes I put my T G Elias CD on the record thingy.

Record thingy and radio could be the way to go.

There was a programme about Stanley Baxter on the TV that I liked - but it was a repeat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:35 am 
Hawleytastic!

Lowest common-denominator tripe. I avoid altogether or find something in the on-demand sections of my Virgin Media account. Caught up with an interesting documentary tonight about the rediscovery of Dylan's Newport Strat on a PBS documentary, which also found some Frank Zappa teenage artwork! Then I read some of the Andy Kershaw biography and I'm going to poddle through a few more pages of the Hogarth one I'm (still) reading on my Kindle.

Saturday night terrestrial TV is just a pile of junk. Just ignore it and pretend it's not there.

Try watching some of these instead - brilliant stuff to pass a few hours

http://www.folkstreams.net/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:13 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I was thinking the exact same thing tonight. Reality stuff makes me cringe, quiz shows the same; not into football. Old British films are rare - I love those. Sometimes there's a documentary that catches my eye on BBC4 although it's a bit hit & miss. Usually end up watching a 20 year old repeat on ITV3 or something. Quite enjoyed the film on BBC3 tonight - Victorian drama. I had kind of come to the conclusion though that there's seldom anything I do like on TV and that it's probably just me :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:47 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I agree; all main BBC, ITV, etc. channel programmes completely dire this Saturday evening. For me, the best feature so far this weekend was the Barbara Dickson documentary on BBC Alba (9.30 pm Friday) well worth checking out on I Player - but then maybe I should just get out more!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:17 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Robbo wrote:
...best feature so far this weekend was the Barbara Dickson documentary on BBC Alba (9.30 pm Friday) well worth checking out on I Player - but then maybe I should just get out more!....

I reckon with research - I could put together several hours of quality TV for a Saturday night - have had an hdd for years but only used it to play dvd's [about four times a year] and have no idea how to programme it...

That documentary would suit me - also note a new music programme is on S4C this Tuesday at 8.25 - so I'll have a go at putting them on me hdd.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I watched the film on BBC 2, Cemetry Junction, about growing up in the 70's. Predictable, but easy to
watch with some good one liner's, including the classic.... Why does Noddy wear a hat with a bell on it?

........google it!! :*:

But I agree, the rest was grade A shite! :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:19 pm 
Too much time on my hands

It is absolute shite but Borgen started again last night. I recommend these Danish dramas. The Killing has been excellent. You have to get used to the sub-titles but once you do it is worth it. I went to Copenhagen between Christmas and New Year and am now the proud owner of a Sarah Lund jumper. Unless you watched The Killing you will have no idea what I am talking about! I thought Ripper street looked promising too so will see how it progresses tonight. Reality TV is beyond all hope for humankind. I cannot believe people watch it. It makes me worry for the future. Let's watch people be humiliated and call it entertainment. God help us.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:21 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

I agree with everything here......last night I sat through a load of dribbling shite, through You've been Framed, which I loathe, right through that flaming Splash twaddle - what was all THAT about???
Helen Lederer looked like am alarmed fish, the Sugababe in the gold bikini looked gorgeous but somewhat surprised when she got her hair wet, and wtf was Jo Brand doing on the panel???

I also had the misfortune to catch the mind numbingly awful Take Me Out.

Mind you I was only half watching TV, the Kindle got some stick and I'm now well through the Forsyte
Saga.

And now my daughter thinks it's hugely amusing, and so far unnoticed by me, to sneak Iron Lady onto the TV when she thinks I haven't noticed!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:54 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Get rid of your telly aerial/digital. Best thing I ever did. I have a TV Screen and DVD player, no channels.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:58 pm 

It's terrible! Scary how many people gather round it, then talk about it all week.
When i visited the UK at Christmas, i'd been gone 4 months. Not a huge amount of time, but i was more aware of how it was the same stuff over and over, and i thought, i really don't miss this at all. The only channel i watch with any regularity is BBC4.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:12 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Borgen is very good. (Dad's Army was on as well)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:04 am 

Lou wrote:
It is absolute shite but Borgen started again last night. I recommend these Danish dramas. The Killing has been excellent. You have to get used to the sub-titles but once you do it is worth it. I went to Copenhagen between Christmas and New Year and am now the proud owner of a Sarah Lund jumper. Unless you watched The Killing you will have no idea what I am talking about! I thought Ripper street looked promising too so will see how it progresses tonight. Reality TV is beyond all hope for humankind. I cannot believe people watch it. It makes me worry for the future. Let's watch people be humiliated and call it entertainment. God help us.

Best things on TV. Jealous about that jumper! People who say 'i don't watch anything with subtitles.' deserve bad TV tbh.