Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows 8.1
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:12 am 
Hawley Groupie

Someone please help me before it's too late.

In the last 4 weeks I've been having to reconnect to the wifi in my own house. No one else has to, just me. I'm crap at this stuff. But, what happens is:- I try to get to google, the little circle, starts going backwards, I refresh, and it may or may not go clockwise again, but just keeps going, until it times out, try to reload, same thing. So I have to go into, desktop, control panel, network trouble shooter and it says, network adapter reconnecting. Everything is great for about 5 minutes. Then I have to do it again, and again, and again. It's fine first thing in the morning, and gets worse during the day.

I googled it (at 6am) there's a lots of stuff on there about it that I don't understand at all. I also looked at resetting it, but it says I will loose macAfee, and all sorts of other things, that I would have no idea how to re-install. Please take pity on a middle aged, furious person, whos about to kick the bloody thing into the garden. It's in warranty, I spent nearly 2 hours talking to dell, who, after all that said, it's a software problem and would have to hand me over to the software team who would charge me.

Post subject: Re: Windows 8.1
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:56 am 
Site Admin

There are several 'solutions' so hopefully one of these will work.

1 Ctrl+alt+del start task manager (or right mouse in the task bar at the bottom). Check for bonjour under processes. If it is running go to control panel under administrator services choose services. Then right click bonjour choose properties set to manual and stop service. Open command prompt type ipconfig /renew If still not working type route service 0.0.0.0&&ipconfig /renew

(make sure there is a space between config and /renew - this was a solution for my laptop when it stopped connecting)

2 Renew your IP address:
a). Open windows command prompt Start\ Run\cmd\ok
b). To release your Ip address ipconfig/release
Enter
c). To renew your IP address ipconfig/renew
Enter
Exit

(you may get an error message and if so give up - An error occured while renewing interface WiFi : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request timed out." )

3. Modem Settings - Max Number of Connections, Connection Alive time, DHCP server settings, Wifi Settings / Channel / Encryption
Other Enabled DHCP devices on your Wifi giving you ip/gateway settings first (usually Printers)

Your OS will typically resolve this but in some cases it just doesn't and times out Or is holding Old IP settings from connection to other networks, Hence why 'Releasing and Renewing' usually works well in this situation

If yours is a Sony they have a Flight Mode on some of its laptops which you will need to turn off.

You could also try going to a restore point from before this started happening, this may be where you were told you might lose MacAfee, personally I'd not worry about losing that as you can use a free AV program anyway (AVG free is pretty good) but you should be able to get MacAfee back by downloading the program from their web site.

To restore your PC to an earlier point in time

1.Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then tap Search. ...
2.Enter Control Panel in the search box, then tap or click Control Panel.
3.Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, then tap or click Recovery.
4.Tap or click Open System Restore, then follow the instructions.

Note you may need recovery media for this - when you first got the computer did you create a recovery drive, if not do so before restoring. Get a usb drive (32gb) and follow the first point above to search, type recovery and you are looking for create a recovery drive. This will back up your D drive which is the recovery partition, then if any problems should occur you can restore. I'm also assuming you back up your files regularly - doing recovery shouldn't lose any of them but you never know.

Good luck and hope one of the first options sorts it for you as they are simpler.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject: Re: Windows 8.1
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:27 pm 
Hawley Groupie

I can't thank you enough! You are a wizard, Dumbledore standards. I'm printing that off, so I can go through it all at my own (very slow) pace. Also calling in my kids next week to supervise me doing it. Lofty was correct you are a marvel. Thank you superhero, you have saved a new laptop, and a frustrated woman from going nuts. x