Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Medical Mystery
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:24 pm 
Hawley Groupie

So, after being on cloud nine since my grand daughter was born. I had an appointment at the knee clinic. 1st Jan this year, a mad dog jumped at me I jumped out of the way, didn't fall but twisted a bit. I kept hoping it would get better, but have now had to admit, it's not. It won't straighten or bend as much as the other one. I have 'torn my meniscus'. Does any one know what that is? I've got to have key hole surgery. Sadly I went into a panic, as soon as the Dr mentioned hospital, and didn't listen/understand what he was on about. I would look on google, but don't think its a good idea, might make it worse. I'm such a big girls blouse, when it comes to hospitals, and Dr's. Pathetic.

Post subject: Re: Medical Mystery
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:12 pm 
Hawleytastic!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:49 am 
Hawley Groupie

Thank you egg. Seems like quite an important bit. Considering I didn't even fall over, can't imagine how I did so much damage. Damned annoying. I saw the x-ray, there wasn't a gap in between the bones at all, and a big gap the other side. Thank you again. I'm just going to have to man up. I would be cross with the dog, but, it was the idiot owner. Poor thing was really frightened and nervous, knocked a lady flying behind me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:40 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

lynne wrote:
Thank you egg. Seems like quite an important bit. Considering I didn't even fall over, can't imagine how I did so much damage. Damned annoying. I saw the x-ray, there wasn't a gap in between the bones at all, and a big gap the other side. Thank you again. I'm just going to have to man up. I would be cross with the dog, but, it was the idiot owner. Poor thing was really frightened and nervous, knocked a lady flying behind me.

Lynne - if it's any consolation, I had keyhole knee surgery about 10 years ago after a skiing accident. I was going down a mountain (as one tends to do on a skiing holiday!) when one ski got stuck on a stone and the other kept going. For me it was the anterior cruciate ligament that was damaged. Much like you, I went into a fog when the consultant said I needed surgery. I remember telling him I couldn't possibly have surgery because I didn't have my pyjamas or a toothbrush with me. He quite rightly told me that wasn't a good enough reason! Anyhoo, I had the surgery that afternoon, and after just one night in hospital, was able to go home to my family for some TLC. I quite enjoyed feeling special for a while, and I found being out in public on crutches very illuminating. Mostly people were extremely helpful and considerate, and it warmed the cockles of my heart most days. Take the opportunity to be the centre of attention for a while, if you can, and let everyone else do the hard work for a while! Good luck with it all. Jx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:33 am 
Hawley Groupie

Thank you. I've had a bit of a look at what happens, and how long to recover. I've had the MRI appointment come through. Strangely it's at a private hospital, didn't expect that. Hopefully at the appointment after that, I can ask my questions, i.e will it go back to normal, will I be able to walk for more than 30 minutes without limping. I broke the same leg, very near the knee, 30 years ago, I don't suppose that helped. Motorbike accident, the mistakes we make in our youth, come back to haunt me. Fingers crossed.