Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Floods
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

Although dad lives on high ground in Nottinghamshire, unfortunately during last Friday's heavy rain the ditch in the field across the road flooded his house and 14 others close by. Not helped by cars continuing to drive through the flood waters (having driven round the barrier in the centre of the road) causing huge washes of water back into the houses.

The local community have been great, as have the relevant authorities. Firemen helped dad out as well as the 96 year old next door, one of my sisters is currently living with dad so at least he wasn't alone. He's now at my brothers, my sister has had to move in with one of my other sisters. Insurance assessors came today - carpets, curtains, sofa and chair all thrown out. Huge equipment in there starting to dry the place out but it could be weeks before he can move back in.

The water only rose to around 7" unlike in other areas where most of people's furniture has been covered by water so this is less devastating an event than for a lot of others.

We've also had loads of offers of help from friends of my sisters who live locally, probably not needed as insurance and the flood people will deal with most of it but so nice to know how much people care.

The only really annoying thing is that one of my sisters has spend all year managing dad's allotment and preparing and freezing the produce from that and it is all now a write off as the power was off for three days - unfortunately that's the kind of thing you can't be compensated for.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music