All times are UTC [ DST ]

Should the UK have 24hr drinking?
YES 68%  68%  [ 13 ]
NO 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 19
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:32 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

Ernie wrote:
Yes, our (and by that I mean the so-called 'Great' British public) attitude towards alcohol is not what I'd call healthy. And if it was down to me, I knock this 24-hour licensing business on the head now. But that's a whole separate issue that possibly warrants it's own thread.

Right then, The Ernster asked for it.......more sensible debate on the things that matter ie: booze & tabs!! Is 24hr drinking a good thing? Should we become more sophisticated in this country like our continental cousins or will we be locked in our own homes as gangs of marauding chavs take over our streets boozed out of their tiny skulls??? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:46 pm 
Hawleytastic!

i already do 24hr drinking.

oh you mean in pubs!? :shock:

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Dave wrote:
Should we become more sophisticated in this country like our continental cousins

That will never happen. We just don't have the sort of culture where alcohol is considered anything other than a means to an end. On the continent, alcohol is seen as a part fo a meal. The French, for example, drink like fish, but eat at the same time. We see alcohol as a way of getting p*ssed'. I think the simple fact is, we can't handle our drink, and we're not mature enough to show it the respect it deserves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:12 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

Good point, well put Ern! :wink:

I voted yes for these reasons.....

There should be some kind of 12 hour flexibility. I'm sure they've had this in Scotland for years. If a pub wants to open at 2 in the afternoon and close at 2am....no probs. Likewise if a boozer wants to do 8am till 8 at night it can.

Happy hours and all you can drink promotions should be banned.

Its time some 'proper' pubs became listed buildings with laws against them being turned into 'plastic posing palaces'!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:47 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Dave wrote:
Happy hours and all you can drink promotions should be banned.

Too bloomin' right, Dave. That's what's ruined drinking out, you know. Drinks promotions and alcopops.

Dave wrote:
Its time some 'proper' pubs became listed buildings with laws against them being turned into 'plastic posing palaces'!!

And another 'here, here'!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:59 pm 
Yep, I'd agree with Ern and Dave. The trouble is that we drink to get loaded and our whole culture is imbued with a hard-drinking ethos. We're just not like our more sophisticated continental cousins. I worry for Richard's liver if we go 24 hours though. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:59 pm 
Regular poster

I've been following this debate a bit in the news, but please explain the situation to a dumb american. are the pubs really open until only 11? that hardly gives you enough time to enjoy a few drinks unless you get an early start. I generally go out after dinner with the wife and kids, maybe 9. our 2 am closing time makes for a decent night out all the same.

no wonder you all drink to get loaded... you don't have time to do otherwise!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:04 pm 
Some places might have a late licence, such as clubs, but in the main it's 11 and home to bed! The reason the goverment want to extend licencing hours for precisely this reason; they feel that at the moment it encourages binge drinking violence when everyone pours out onto the streets at the same time. It wouldn't change everywhere and it would depend on local areas and where the pubs are located.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:47 pm 
Hawleytastic!

24 hour drinking?! Oh Lordy - as it is some nights I can only get Dave to leave the Dog when they're basically turning the lights out on us! I'll never get him home again! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:20 pm 
Hawleytastic!

MrsSenna wrote:
24 hour drinking?! Oh Lordy - as it is some nights I can only get Dave to leave the Dog when they're basically turning the lights out on us! I'll never get him home again! :wink:

so we'll put you down as a 'yes' then...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:15 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I don't think pubs shuttin at 11 stops people drinkin after 11, and I fancy an occasional late pint without havin to pay an extra fiver to get into some club type thing where you can't hear yourself drink, er, think. suspect the reasons brits like gettin really pissed are only partly to do wiv pub hours. so I vote yes... what was the question?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:59 am 
Original Hippy

We only have the licensing laws we have at the moment to make sure we don't lose the 1st World War!!! :shock:

I don't think extended opening hours will make drink related violence any worse than it is already - that is a different social issue altogether unconnected with opening times. I deeply resent being told by the Government that I have to trot off home at 11.30pm. (Fortunately the landlord of my local came out with the classic quote "We'll be able to stay open until 2am???!!! I'm not closing early for anyone!").

I'm all for pubs being able to open for as long as they like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:51 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

i don't think the violence would be any worse than it already is if your opening hours were extended - or ours. a lot of the pubs here do still close at 11, some are 12 on a school night but can be open to 1am friday/saturday - staggers the staggering perhaps. and yes some open for breakfast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:17 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

i'd like to whinge about the fact that we can't drink in public up here :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:40 pm 
Yes.

Only downside i can see to it is some of the unsavoury types who'd normally buggar off to a club about half nine/ten might end up staying in the pub :(