Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8876 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589 ... 592  Next
 Post subject: Re: How HAPPY are you?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:59 am 
Hawleytastic!

Full report please. x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Away all week! :roll:

Meetings all week! :(

Free Beer all week! :Hoorah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:10 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Myra, your man did it! Bet you're over the moon. X

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:51 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

helenwatson wrote:
Myra, your man did it! Bet you're over the moon. X

Yes he did, and yes I am! :Hoorah I was so flipping hungover today. There was some much-needed celebratory imbibing. :D It's a relief to have my state over with, he didn't crush it but he just about made the percentage he needs to make in the remaining states. Honestly it should have been higher. Milwaukee County, where I live, got really fucked up. Our piece of shit governor's new voter ID law was designed to really disenfranchise poor and minority voters, and oh my, it worked like a charm. Because of that law, it was estimated that about 300,000 voters statewide would not be able to vote, including a significant amount of the massive number of college students we have here in Wisconsin. And mine is the most populous county, with the largest amount of disenfranchised voters, so if that hadn't happened, he would have been significantly ahead. But there you go. I'm just glad there weren't as many other types of voter suppression instances in our state as there have been in others. There was some, but not too many.

We really are grateful that he spent so much time in our state in the last couple of weeks, he really was putting in the time everywhere. I did get to see him twice, electrifying speaker, huge electrified crowds. I got to volunteer at one of his speeches, which was great! I never worked so hard in my life to get someone elected. The last three days before the primary I just about did nothing but phonebank and canvass. Everybody worked really hard and it paid off!

New York is in two weeks, and that will be a tough nut to crack. It's a must-win. I admit I'm nervous. I have confidence that he'll continue to gain ground right up until the day, but it's going to take everything we have to get him to squeak by. I think we can do it. We just have to redouble our efforts. ..>

Thanks to all of you who are supporting him and cheering him on, it's fantastic to see that on the news! And we are really hoping for Jeremy Corbyn too!! <*>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:46 pm 
Hawleytastic!

So, any forumers who have had the disadvantage of meeting me will know that I have very short hair. After years of struggling with hairdressers trying to give me a shampoo and set and a bouffant blow dry, I have finally discovered the joy of barbers.

The last time I took my son to get his haircut, the barber said: Let me cut your hair sometime, and last week, I took him up on it. He cut my hair very short, just how I wanted it, said how soft my hair was, how much the cut suited me, and was generally charming for 20 mins, and charged me a tenner.

This contrasted sharply with the last hairdressers I used who wouldn't cut off too much as she said it made my face look harsh, constantly blithered about it being important to grow your hair when you're getting older as it was just as good as Botox, told me to guard against a thinning scalp, while having a running commentary with her mate about the Kardashians. And charged me £40!!

I have seen the light and it involves getting my neck shaved and talking about the football, while having someone be totally nice to me. Consider me converted. Xx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:39 am 
Hawley Groupie

I would never have thought of a barbers, what a good idea. I got so depressed with the chit-chat at the hairdressers, I just stopped going. My hair is ridiculously long now, purely because I couldn't face going and being ripped off. I don't know anything about the Kardashians, and my football knowledge is pretty thin as well. Is there a book of 'conversations at the barbers'? I bet they don't say, 'you know what, I could hide your greying hair with some highlights' What a ****** liberty.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:46 am 
Hawleytastic!

lynne wrote:
Is there a book of 'conversations at the barbers'?

Once you have been to the same one a few times the conversation is generally:

'same?'.....'yup'.... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:38 am 
Hawleytastic!

Not always easy and economical

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... s-10548324

Not been in the barbers for nearly twenty years. My wife started cutting my lads' hair when they were little and after initial trepidation I get sheared the same. Saves cash and having to feign interest in West Ham and Arsenal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:13 am 
Hawleytastic!

Oh Lynne, I feel your pain. Part of the depressing thing about middle age is the unwarranted comment from people about getting older. Like my dentist who, in the middle of a check up, when my mouth is wide open and I can't say: Fuck off, you rude wanker, informs me that they are now doing Botox as part of their services!!! And all the comments about greys, growing your hair long to cover the wrinkles, your hair thinning as you get older, it's like they're talking to Miss Haversham, decomposing slowly in their shiny chairs! I actively look forward to the day where they say "same" and I say "yup" because it would save my unshakeable faith in humanity being eroded, soul destroying little bit by little bit.

And I would never have gone to the barbers if he hadn't asked me. My children say it's OK as long as a) I don't go at the same time as them and b) I go in school hours so none of their friends see me! I now have a 1940s short back and sides and I am very happy. x

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

a lot to be said for 'the usual' Going to my barber for a few years now and that's how it is, easy going chat and a decent cut. The other place I went to before had won all kinds of awards (all be it not a fancy dan place) but I got fed up of them yapping to their mates, stopping and checking their txt messages or answering the phone when cutting your hair. Followed by the usual quizzical 'ahh right where was I' look when they remembered again where they were and what I am paying them to do.

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:43 pm 
Secretly Canadian

helenwatson wrote:
He cut my hair very short, just how I wanted it, said how soft my hair was, how much the cut suited me, and was generally charming for 20 mins, and charged me a tenner.

How much?!?!?!?? :shock:

"you ain't afraid of no alleyway when you are the thing in the dark"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:05 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Although I am a barber - with a capital "B" - I don't use one....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:32 am 
Hawley Groupie

Now you mention it Helen. I do have a resemblance to Miss Haversham. My hair is long and unruly, I have to have hair slides, combs and all sorts, to control it. My gran had very long plaits that were put up on the top of her head, a bit like a hair band. Maybe I should go for that.

'Same and yup' is a perfect conversation with someone you don't really know, but you have to let get quite personal with you. I'm really temped. I had short back and sides for most of my teenage years. My eldest said, when I turned 50, I should think about starting to wear tweeds and a hat, Miss Marple style. I'm 54 not 97.

Is that what dentists do now? Botox??? I did notice when I went last year, the call waiting thingy was an advert saying 'Do you wish your smile was whiter and brighter?' I should have hung up, there and then.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:06 am 
Hawleytastic!

Oh, lovely Lynne. You're not Miss Haversham, darling. Sure you are proper lovely. But I would recommend cutting off one's hair. I used to have Crystal Tips and Alistair hair, like a monstrous, fat, hairy cat sitting on top of my head. Hit 30 and cut the whole lot off, which I have found a most liberating experience as not all girls have the necessary hand/eye co-ordination to do the hair dryer brush balancing act. I used to end up either looking like an extra in the Hair Bear Bunch or Olive out of On The Buses with a pan of gravy head. Now, I just stick it in the sink, give it a shake and I'm ready for the off. Mornings in our house are just piss and go, as opposed to wasting an hour on the barnet.

Anyhow, on the subject of getting old, I crossed a line of decrepidness yesterday. I was at the Tube and offered to help a blind guy down the stairs and he turned round and said: It's ok, I've got to pick up the litter... new glasses on order as we speak... xxxx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:33 am 
Hawleytastic!

Craig wrote:
helenwatson wrote:
He cut my hair very short, just how I wanted it, said how soft my hair was, how much the cut suited me, and was generally charming for 20 mins, and charged me a tenner.

How much?!?!?!?? :shock:

If we visit Morpeth whilst holidaying in Northumberland I like to drop in on an old barbershop and have a cut - came across it a few years ago - the shop is pretty much as was circa 66 - he must be into his 70's and he charges £6.

Last time I visited I was walking over the river foot bridge to the shop and was wondering if he would still be there - a sign in the door window said 'back in 10 mins' so I breathed a sigh of relief - twenty minutes later I was having my hair cut and going through a conversation very similar to the one that took place on my last visit - I asked him about the 10 mins sign and he told me how he owns the house next to the shop and if trade is low he goes home makes a brew and sits in his front room watching TV whilst also looking out of the window for customers - should one come by he goes back into his shop and awaits there return.

Needless to say although not the best of cuts - it was the best barber visit ever - so with tip the cost came to £10.

Morpeth has many reasons to visit but this place tops my list.

Wansbeck Street right by the footbridge.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8876 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589 ... 592  Next