Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Electricity meters
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:58 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Have moved into new flat and inherited an electricity meter which belonged to Powergen. Arranged to swap to npower (my old supplier) and for them to take the meter out. After around 5 weeks, they have only just moved the supply over and will not take out the meter until "an account number is generated, which could take up to 14 days."

In the meantime, I have been paying a small fortune on my prepayment meter. Now the supply has been taken over, I'm supposed to use an npower topup card. Only one prob - it doesn't work. Topped up £10 and card showed 'void'.
Phoned npower (third time in 3 days) and these are the instructions they gave for reclaiming my money.
1. Go to my nearest paypoint ship and get a new npower topup card.
2. Come home and register it with my meter.
3. Go back to the shop and top up money (enough to take me out of emergency credit.)
4. On Monday, go to the same shop and top up £1.
5. On Tuesday, go to the same shop and top up £1.
6. On Wednesday, go to the same shop and top up £1.
My £10 will then be sent to the machine.
Unfortunately, I have yet to find a paypoint which issues npower cards. I am not supposed to be using the Powergen card, but THIS IS THE ONLY ONE WHICH STILL WORKS!
:evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:31 pm 
Too much time on my hands

NPower finally came today to take out the meter. Must have spent a few hundred pounds on electricity topup. And they think it makes sense to give these meters to people who can't pay their bills!
The joy of not having to go to the shop every couple of days :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:34 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

I lose my will to live...dealing with this sort of stuff..............................................................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:32 am 
Hawleytastic!

NPower knocked at my door last night - they reckoned that I wouldn't need to change electricity supplier but they could get a cheaper deal for me. Not sure how that works, but considering there have been all kinds of things in the papers about them mis-selling and whatever I didn't take up their offer............ :roll:

I hate people cold calling like that - I wouldn't ever buy anything or sign up to anything on my doorstep! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:03 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

Me neither, I even hate paying the window cleaner when he turns up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:31 am 
Hawleytastic!

I am so confused about electricity and gas providers. We kept our gas with British Gas and our electricity with Manweb/Scottish Power for years, but realised that we should at least switch to a single supplier. We switched our electricity supply to British Gas to take advantage of the 'dual fuel' discount, but then they put up their prices anyway ....... :? :roll:

As for the window cleaner Maggie - we've had the same one for years, we like him, he's never let us down and he does a good job ..... but, like you, I hate paying him!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:45 am 
The Stalker

Jan H wrote:
I am so confused about electricity and gas providers. We kept our gas with British Gas and our electricity with Manweb/Scottish Power for years, but realised that we should at least switch to a single supplier. We switched our electricity supply to British Gas to take advantage of the 'dual fuel' discount, but then they put up their prices anyway ....... :? :roll:

As for the window cleaner Maggie - we've had the same one for years, we like him, he's never let us down and he does a good job ..... but, like you, I hate paying him!

Best savings seem to be if you go "dual fuel" with monthly direct debit AND online account (no paper billing)

Just sorted out me mum with an extra 80-odd quid saving per year for simply switching to the online only option with her current provider, eon (ex-powergen). You can still get the fully itemised bill as a PDF to print out if you want it

Have a look at some of the comparison websites like uswitch etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:55 am 
Hawleytastic!

I just decided to stick with British Gas and optimise their 'benefits' package as you mentioned - DD, paperless billing etc. We will get £250 cash back after one year, so we should at least see no increase in our expenditure this year despite prevailing rising prices ... shouldn't we? :? :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:44 pm 
The Boss

we've just had a similar nightmare with the telephone,it took weeks to sort out the simplest of things all i wanted was my talktalk account moving to my new address..the previous owner was with talktalk too.............THEY ARE FUCKING SHIT DO NOT GO WITH THEM....after trying loads of other idiot companies,virgin,and other cock end run companies i thought right the first one i call that is A,civil,B,i can actually talk to a person and C says they can sort it i will go with the ONLY one's were BT......sorted within two days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

Talk Talk are rubbish - and a damn pain in the neck with their 'offers'. I have told them for about the 90th time that I am tied to a broadband account through my employer and Talk Talk promise each time to mark my account and not keep offering me free broadband.

And the other day they rang me to offer me savings on my phone bill. As my highest bill with them in 4 years has been 90p (and that was a one off, all others have been lower than 11p a quarter - I get 1000 'free' minutes in my mobile contract so make calls on that!) I asked them what could they offer me that would save me 11p a quarter - absolutely nothing.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:49 pm 
Hawleytastic!

maggie wrote:
Me neither, I even hate paying the window cleaner when he turns up.

I don't have a window cleaner........ this bloke just comes round every 2 weeks and sands me boards :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:44 pm 
Hawley Groupie

I like to keep it simple, British Gas for my Gas, Scottish Power for my electric, Broadband and land line from Virgin.
Local guy is our window cleaner, it takes him ages to get his round done 'cause he likes a chat! We don't need the phone, we just tell him and he tells everyone else!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:05 pm 
The Boss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:10 pm 
Hawley Groupie

:*: watched confessions of a window cleaner the other week! You can get it from movies on demand.... :shock: It was not as funny as I remembered :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

saw it for the first time in a bar in Paris last year, with us being kinda pissed and it being very badly dubbed it seemed like the funniest thing ever at the time. :*:

as for electricity meters ours blew a couple of months back, had no electricty for two days and fucked the fusebox and shit, we called into the electricity company told them the problem, the sent out an emergency electrician within the hour, he apparently "wasnt qualified to touch it" :roll:

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.