Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:06 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Luke M wrote:
:roll:

the only films which make me cry are the utterly crap ones when i realise i have just wasted about two hours of my life on (not to mention about a fiver for the ticket :roll: :evil: )

Felt like that after (well during) watching Jumper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:28 am 
Hawleytastic!

My youngest son went to see The Dark Knight at 10 a.m. on Thursday, my Daughter got the morning off work to go with him. They both loved it. I'm thinking about taking him to an IMAX theatre to see it again. I'm not sure about seeing Heath Ledger as The Joker, I would prefer to remember him as in A Knight's Tale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:58 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Stunning. Just stunning. its an epic. Script, performance, direction and the acting...lord, the acting. cant say enough about it - i was blown away. heath ledger for an oscar? hmmm i wouldnt be unhappy he was nominated by how about Gary Oldman for best supporting actor. he really got me in the last scene.

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:50 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Agree on Gary Oldman, a wonderfully subtle understated performance ... it's easy to forget what an incredible actor he is. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/jul/28/dark.night :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's a super hero film for god's sake. you dour fool.

- http://www.chrismsaunders.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:07 pm 
Hawleytastic!

my son says it's the best film he's ever seen and he went to see it again today. the boys a fool though and knows nowt. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:24 am 
Hawleytastic!

snapper wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/jul/28/dark.night :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's a super hero film for god's sake. you dour fool.

agreed. i almost couldnt read all of that. what a bore. the film was great - one of the most exciting, involving thrillers I've seen in ages. i was literally on the edge of my seat throughout and had to keep reminding myself to sit back and relax. :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:33 am 
Hawleytastic!

he looks a right barrel of laughs that guy. face like a slapped arse. lighten up, fuckwit, it's just a movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:40 am 
Hawleytastic!

mph wrote:
he looks a right barrel of laughs that guy. face like a slapped arse. lighten up, fuckwit, it's just a movie.

haha. yeah. right miserable get. to quote the Joker..."let's put a smiiiiile on that face".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:33 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Heres another one.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/film_reviews/article4386375.ece

everyone is entitled to their opinion, obviously, but when one of your major qualms about a Batman movie is that it didnt quite get the 9/11 analogy right then its time for a satsuma and a lie down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:45 pm 
Hawleytastic!

"The 9/11 analogy just doesn’t make sense, though. The idea that the Joker is some kind of urban terrorist figure, as he is referred to at one point, is absurd. “Some men just want to watch the world burn,” says Lt James Gordon (Gary Oldman), and that’s true, but they’re called pyromaniacs, not terrorists. Bin Laden and co don’t do it for the kicks that come from chaos, as the Joker does."

Oh it's just bollocks he's talking. I think the post 911 analogy *is* there but would the film critic of The Times only be happy if the Joker was standing up for a cause? Would he really want the audience to be beaten over the head with the analogy? He'd only then go and say so if it was doing so.

The *end result* of both the Joker's actions and Bin Laden's is chaos and therein lies the analogy along with all the other aspects the film covers like torture & the monitoring of society. Bin Laden is a terrorist using methods of terrorism to achieve his aims, the Joker an anarchist using methods of terrorism to acheive his (ie his kicks). The reviewer is forgetting that the Joker is a character in his own right & to shoehorn a cause in there wouldn't be true to it. And if you like, The Joker being referred to as a "terrorist" by a character in the film could be construed as a comment on how people in power are quick to label many people, rightly or wrongly, as such.

The film is excellent because it stands on its own as (primarily) a great piece of entertainment, and if you want it to, a picture of an aspect of the times we're living in.

I think some reviewers, when they see a film getting big audiences and great initial reviews, just like to be contrary for the sake of it.

- http://www.chrismsaunders.co.uk

Last edited by snapper on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:49 pm 
Hawleytastic!

snapper wrote:
I think some reviewers, when they see a film getting big audiences and great initial reviews, just like to be contrary for the sake of it.

got it in one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

snapper wrote:
"The 9/11 analogy just doesn’t make sense, though. The idea that the Joker is some kind of urban terrorist figure, as he is referred to at one point, is absurd. “Some men just want to watch the world burn,” says Lt James Gordon (Gary Oldman),

actually Michael Caine says that. if he's gonna talk a load of old bollocks he should at least get his facts straight. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:34 pm 
Regular poster

Add me to the camp who loved it. As other's have said the performances were generally top notch. The cinema was about 99% full when I stepped in about ten minutes before the picture started at 9.20 PM on a Wednesday evening. Roughly about three hundred spectators. I don't generally watch mainstream Hollywood films as a rule but I enjoy Christan Bale films and Christopher Nolan's direction.

Anyway...

I felt the justification and sentiments of The Joker's were perfectly realistic and chaotic. This was consistently displayed throughout the film, from his differing descriptions of how he got his scars to his burning of the cash (not really a spoiler so don't get stressed). Add to that his plan to fuck up some of the main characters, corrupt decent characters and society and you've more or less got your terrorist.

What a struck me from the obvious violence and implied violence was the horror of the undertones, the general bleakness and ruthlessness of it. My other half was quite rightly disturbed at one or two of the scenes and in many ways she and everyone else, me included were supposed to be.

Loaded sentiment doesn't really work on me but there were a few moments what made me giggle (usually inapproriately) and naturally made me sqiurm a little.

The bit with the boats I felt was interesting as it exploited the bigger idea that The Joker doesn't use just straight forward destruction alone to terrorise the citizens and create chaos but plays them off each against each other which is a darker idea, when you consider that if you were made the right offer, in order to rid the world of something, say a child molester, a politician, or in fact anyone the terrorised decided he didn't like...you'd be threatened with a school or hospital being destroyed. You'd have the public themselves resorting to small scale terrorism at worst and vigliantisim, or at best, having to wrestle with their own morals. Again this is displayed fairly obvious in the film on a few occasions.

I found the Joker's baiting and hostage taking in the film reminiscent of Ken Bigley's own humilation and subsequent execution.

It was a bleak film but remained exciting and eventful. It's a shame in some respects that we won't be seeing Ledger's 'Joker' again as it did live up the hype and iconography we were led to expect. I can't see the Penguin or Catwoman topping this in all honesty, unless we could go back in time bring back a fucked up Julie Christie...but this is rather unlikely and daft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:38 pm 
Hawleytastic!

supposed to be johnny depp as the riddler and phillip seymour hoffman as the penguin next.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next