Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:33 pm 
Hawleytastic!

they invented the name for themselves, wasn't given to them later. it was a direct challenge to the established schools of the day, to return to the (as they saw it) more honest art of raphael and the work before him rather than the mannerism which followed.

btw
According to Vasari, Raphael's premature death on Good Friday (April 6, 1520) (possibly his 37th birthday), was caused by a night of excessive sex with Luti (his mistress), after which he fell into a fever and, not telling his doctors that this was its cause, was given the wrong cure, which killed him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:45 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

Ta.
Dead educational, this forum :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

There is a book that the series is (loosely) derived from - it's a proper biography though, not a novel. For those who don't know much about the guys it's worth a read.

Franny Moyle Desperate Romantics

In bookshops it will be with the Art books but you might find it easier to order from Amazon, finally tracked my copy down in Waterstones Finchley Road after visiting several of their branches.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:42 am 
Regular

[quote="maggie"]I loved it, doesn't really matter whether it's accurate or not, it's really entertaining.

well said,only recently got interested in works of the great painters,music has always been my main passion, these programs bring other forms of arts to a wider audience. think schama think rothko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:02 pm 
I need a life

It is a little bit "too funky" for my taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:33 pm 
Hawleytastic!

maggie wrote:
I loved it, doesn't really matter whether it's accurate or not, it's really entertaining.

I have one very very dim question. I heard the term Pre Raphaelite used in the first episode. How come they knew??????? :?

From Wikipedia - they consciously chose the term -

"The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood (also known as the Pre-Raphaelites) was a group of English painters, poets, and critics, founded in 1848 by William Holman Hunt, John Everett Millais and Dante Gabriel Rossetti. The three founders were soon joined by William Michael Rossetti, James Collinson, Frederic George Stephens and Thomas Woolner to form a seven member "brotherhood".

The group's intention was to reform art by rejecting what they considered to be the mechanistic approach first adopted by the Mannerist artists who succeeded Raphael and Michelangelo."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

And now, thanks to this programme, all the PRB consists of are Rossetti, Hunt and Millais.

One assumes they will bring Janey into this so we should at least get Morris into the story lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:09 pm 
Hawleytastic!

They all need to go to Kelmscott for an Arts and Crafts orgy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:52 pm 
Newcomer

Wow, thank you, they are my absolutely fave painters - I'm visiting them at Tate Britain every time I'm in Ldn, been also to Lloyd-Webber collection display in RAA, terrific.
Must find this prog somewhere (it's easy these days, you know:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

The Andrew Lloyd Weber exhibition was great.

We currently have a John William Waterhouse exhibition at the Royal Academy.

The shows are not exactly true to the story, but it's entertaining and does have some truth in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:33 pm 
Regular poster

I love this programme. It's the best thing on tv at the moment. Aidan Turner is so handsome and charismatic as Rossetti. Hopefully William Morris will make an appearance soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:42 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I think Morris and Burne Jones appear in Episode 5....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:44 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Charlie Brooker's review in the Guardian nails its appeal, I think -

"Charlie Brooker in The Guardian:

Call me an easily impressed nincompoop, but any drama serial that opens with a caption which effectively states "the following is a load of bollocks" instantly gets my attention. So it is with Desperate Romantics (Tue, 9pm, BBC2), which absolves itself of any claim to historical accuracy via its title card. "The pre-Raphaelite brotherhood were inspired by the real world, yet took imaginative licence," it says. "This story, based on their lives and loves, follows in that inventive spirit." It's the equivalent of "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away ... ", or perhaps more accurately, "Sod off, pedants."

I don't know much about art, but I know what I like, and at first I was inclined to dislike this. A frothy period romp in which a bunch of over-sexed straggle-haired artists rut their way round Olde London Towne like some skinny-jeaned Hoxton indie band on the up: no thanks. The cast are young and attractive, the lead character an arrogant cock of galactic proportions, and it features walk-on parts for historical figures that even an ill-educated boob like me can recognise ("Guys, guys! Charles Dickens just walked in"), all of which should leave it feeling like a poor man's Blackadder minus the gags.

So imagine my irritation on discovering I rather enjoyed it. For one thing, it's acutely aware of precisely how stupid it's being, and it gleefully exploits that to the full - which, when you think about it, is actually very clever. Think of the Comic Strip's Hollywood rewrite parodies Strike! and GLC: it borders on those.

This is one of the most knowing programmes I've seen in ages; so knowing it virtually sits on the sofa beside you, watching itself and taking the piss. Under normal circumstances that would be irritating. Here it's just playful. "Playfulness" is an incredibly hard thing to capture on screen in a scripted drama, but here everyone seems to have worked together with just the right lightness of touch. Peter Bowker's script, the direction, the performances, the music ... there's an impressive consistency of tone throughout. The theme tune just about sums it up: a cheerily preposterous sort of glam-rock-romantic-classical-fusion stomp.

I have absolutely no idea what the pre-Raphaelite brotherhood were like in real life, but it's probably safe to say they weren't like this: a trio of brawling, shagging, foppish cartoons strutting around the city dressed like rejected character designs for Doctor Who. They spend very little time intensely discussing their art, and very much time gawping at knockers. At times it feels like a period costume spin-off of The Inbetweeners (sometimes precisely so, given the nerdy narration device that bookends each episode).

Yet this doesn't matter for two reasons: 1) It's got enough charm to get away with it, and 2) A series in which the pre-Raphaelites intensely discussed their art would've been po-faced and terrible. Far better to portray them as flawed, foolish, full-of-it swaggerers possessing a combination of genuine talent and daft pretension. It may be a caricature, but it's probably closer to the truth than the traditional, boring route, which is to depict any artist as an unbelievably serious tormented genius who spends 50% of his screen time speaking in brooding aphorisms, 10% painting a naked pair of tits, and the remaining 40% smashing up his studio in an oblique artistic funk - and who we're supposed to respect and admire regardless because, hey, he's a brilliant artist, yeah? Pfff.

All of the above dramatised-artist tropes - the pretentious-speak, the canvas-smashing, the tit-painting - do crop up in Desperate Romantics but crucially they're suffused with oafish humour. These pre-Raphaelites are arses, not smartarses (sometimes the programme doesn't seem to even like them or their paintings very much, which is refreshing in itself).

An enjoyable Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Twat, then?

Yup. That just about sums it up."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

Morris, Jane and Ned appear next week. Mind you looking at the painting in preparation in the studio this week, they had ignored the fact that theversion with Lizzie in was in the mediaeval style of Rossetti's early paintings, and had used the version with Jane in it.

That review sums it up, they make little pretence at realism, but it may make people more interested in finding out more about the artists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:43 pm 
Newcomer

I was able to find three parts of this programme on the internet, so thanks so much for the heads up ! Will there be more episodes, or is this it ?
For me the programme was quite interesting, I love the examinations of the paintings in close-ups, you sometimes see more details through the camera than when looking with your own eye.