Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dream
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:42 pm 
Hawleytastic!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/ ... -st-helens

www.dreamsthelens.com

This sculpture was unveiled last month on the site of the old Sutton Manor Colliery in St Helens. I've been to see it this morning and, close up, it is a really beautiful sculpture by Jaume Plensa. Unfortunately, the surrounding trees block the view of the sculpture and, from the M62, it looks like a giant willy in the distance. It's been said to rival the Angel of The North, but locally it's been nicknamed the c*ck of the north! £3 million well spent?

Last edited by Jan H on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:50 pm 
The Boss

i think its beautiful but i bet the local folk may think the money should have been spent on something like schools etc

Post subject: Re: Dream
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:16 pm 
Regular poster

Jan H wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2009/apr/22/dream-jaume-plensa-st-helens

www.dreamsthelens.com

This sculpture was unveiled last month on the site of the old Sutton Manor Colliery in St Helens. I've been to see it this morning and, close up, it is a really beautiful scupture by Jaume Plensa. Unfortunately, the surrounding trees block the view of the scupture and, from the M62, it looks like a giant willy in the distance. It's been said to rival the Angel of The North, but locally it's been nicknamed the c*ck of the north! £3 million well spent?

That looks fantastic!

I really like sculptures in places where you wouldn't normally expect them. I also like Antony Gormley's works as well.

Squinting my eye's slightly whilst looking at the photo of the Dream, I suppose I can sort of see why it's getting the nickname it is. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:25 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
i think its beautiful but i bet the local folk may think the money should have been spent on something like schools etc

It is really beautiful; I went along early this morning and the light was just perfect to see it at its best. As with anything that's seen as controversial it's had a mixed reception. The face is so serene and captivating.

Post subject: Re: Dream
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:11 pm 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

Helenaka wrote:
I really like sculptures in places where you wouldn't normally expect them.

Yes...I like the Barbara Hepworth sculptures..massive pieces of metal with 'strings'..reminds me of bizarre musical instruments..suituated amongst trees..very lovely...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:26 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I saw it on T.V. when it was finished. I am not keen on modern art and didn't think I would like it, but it is beautiful. I must go and have a closer look. I love the Angel of the North too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:48 am 
It's a 20 metre fucking dildo, are there really not 3 million things, 3 million times more worthwile that money could have been spent on? Sure it might look nice for people driving past on the M62, but what about people who have to live in the shithole parts of places like Accrington day in day out. Fuck me, i'm sure they can really feel the good a shiny giant cock is doing them.