Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:05 pm 
Hawleytastic!

My M.P. voted to sell, I e-mailed him to ask him to vote against. I got a letter from him last time I e-mailed him, maybe he will write again with some reason for towing the party line!

I have supported a few issues on the 38 degrees site, they e-mail me with information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:33 am 
Hawleytastic!

Twats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:53 am 
Hawleytastic!

Mine was absent - probably attending to his newly purchased forest...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:05 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Can't see mine on there - Bob Russell but I know in Jan he implemented a motion to stop the sell offs, could this be that motion? I can't find any details of what he did on the vote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:30 pm 
Hawleytastic!

My MP Harriet Harman (labour) voted to save the forests. So well done to her. :thumright:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:43 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Just checked, my MP (NE Derbys) voted to save the woodland, so did 'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner and the Chesterfield MP too.
But they're all Labour...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:51 am 
Hawleytastic!

Lady Ruff-Diamond wrote:
Just checked, my MP (NE Derbys) voted to save the woodland, so did 'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner and the Chesterfield MP too.
But they're all Labour...

I was in Parliament the day the'Beast of Bolsover' was so named, must have been around 1977, I was on a college trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:34 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Well he's still going strong, always wins with vast majority!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Good news, just got this e-mail

Quote:
Breaking news! The government have announced they will pause forest sell-offs for a few months. It's a brilliant sign, but our forests are still in danger. If we keep working together, we can save our forests forever - not just for a few months.

The government is still going full steam ahead with changing the law to clear the way for a 100% sell-off. It looks like they hope the fuss will die down if they pause a few sales here and there - so they can press on with quietly scrapping legal protection for our public woodlands.

Our petition is now 490,000 strong. Let's show the government we will keep campaigning until English forests are safe, by making sure the petition passes half a million signatures today.

Please forward this email and ask your friends to sign:
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/save-our-forests

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:58 am 
The Boss

i emailed Mr Clegg and this was his reply

Thank you for your correspondence concerning the vote that took place in the Commons on the future of the Forestry Commission and the ownership and management of Forestry Commission land.
You state that I voted to support the forest sell-off and I must first clear up what seems to be a widely held misconception.
Two motions relating to the Forestry Commission were debated on the 2nd February.
I supported the motion

‘That this House deplores the actions of the previous administration in selling off 25,000 acres of public forestry estate with wholly inadequate protections; notes that the previous administration sought to go even further in finding ways to exploit the forestry estate for commercial gain as recently as 2009; welcomes the consultation proposals to guarantee the future protection of heritage forests by offering them charitable trust status; supports the consultation proposals for robust access and public benefit conditions that will be put in place through lease conditions, including access rights for cyclists and horse-riders; believes the leasehold conditions regarding biodiversity and wildlife conservation will safeguard significant important environmental benefits; sees these proposals as important in resolving the conflict of interest whereby the Forestry Commission is the regulator of the timber sector whilst being the largest operator in the England timber market; considers that debate on the future of the forest estate ought to be conducted on the basis of the facts of the Government’s proposals; and believes that under these proposals people will continue to enjoy the access and benefits they currently have from the woodlands of England.’

But opposed the other motion that was tabled. Namely:

‘That this House believes that the Government’s intention in the Public Bodies Bill to sell off up to 100 per cent. of England’s public forestry estate is fundamentally unsound; notes that over 225,000 people have signed a petition against such a sell-off; recognises the valuable role that the Forestry Commission and England’s forests have made to increasing woodland biodiversity and public access, with 40 million visits a year; further recognises that the total subsidy to the Forestry Commission has reduced from 35 per cent. of income in 2003–04 to 14 per cent. of income in 2010–11; further notes that the value of the ecosystems services provided by England’s public forest estate is estimated to be £680 million a year; notes that the value of such services could increase substantially in the future through the transition to a low carbon economy as a carbon market emerges; notes that the public forest estate has been retained in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland; and calls on the Government to rethink its decision on the sale of England’s public forest estate in order to protect it for future generations.’
While the second motion contained facts that are not in dispute, I felt their inclusion within a motion which also states the government intends to sell off up to 100% of the estate – which has never been proposed – and calls on the government to rethink its decision on a matter which has not actually been decided, was misguided at best. It does a huge dis-service to the many organisations and individuals who have real concerns over what the government proposals will mean and want to secure the future of our forests for public benefit.
The purpose of the consultation currently under way on the future of the Forestry Commission Estate is to gather information to inform the decision making process. I would urge as many people as possible to participate in the consultation. It needs the evidence to support – or disprove – the many claims being made. This is understandably a very emotive issue but good decisions cannot be based on emotion alone.
I hope that on reflection you will accept that I have not voted to support the forest sell-off. I do believe there are issues relating to the Forestry Commission that need to be resolved - such as its role as timber producer and regulator. However I am keen to see the right decision being made for the future of its estate based on sound evidence. Therefore as I said before I am keen for people to participate in the consultation to generate the information required for this.
I trust this is helpful.
Yours Sincerely
Nick Clegg MP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:36 am 
Hawleytastic!

:eh? :eh? :eh? Now I'm not stupid, but what is he saying there? He doesn't support it? If so good on him. Or is he just blathering? Sounds to me like he's doing what he does best and sitting on the fence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:30 pm 
The Boss

it seems that way doesn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:03 pm 
Too much time on my hands

He seems to be a man without principles! I'm glad we moved to Sheffield Central last time so I don't have to call him my MP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:42 pm 
Hawleytastic!

it's obfuscation, he may be procedurally correct in his criticism of the specifics of the second motion but we know what is intended by it. he's not showing his hand cos he knows we won't like it.

lib dem conference in sheffield 11-13 March 2011

i'm sure the good people of the city will be organising an event to show clegg what they think of him.

mind if i join you ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:05 pm 
The Boss

You would be most welcome dearest we could have a jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next