Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Thatcher film
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

This is the best review I've read of the Thatcher film. Proper, proper funny...

http://thequietus.com/articles/07721-ma ... -lady-film

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I'm drawn to this film like 'rubberneckers' are drawn to view a car crash- however I may take time to read that book by Chris Mullins instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:37 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

Apparently the film focusses heavily pn her 'sexiness' and her 'great ankles'. That's like saying Fred West was a persuasive talker who had nice eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:44 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Mate of mine spotted this today -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:18 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Reading that makes me feel like I need a shower. I could not, would not, will not EVER see that film. Great review though! State funeral.......have we all gone mad!!!! To redress the balance a bit I have started a Tony Benn thread..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:34 am 
The Boss

"we"went mad a long time ago Lou,I despair I really do the wrecklessness of the last 30+ years I find so depressing,I for one would rather rip my bollocks off than pay to see that woman in anything other than thrown into a pit filled with rabid starving Hyenas.......or maybe left on her own in the dole que......evil bitch.........the END!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:30 am 
Hawleytastic!

Think I'll read that Chris Mullin book too Poppy. Sounds good.

I could never go and see this because blind prejudice would prevent me enjoying any of it and probably end with me being arrested after shouting obscenities at the screen or choking on my popcorn. Much has been made of the sadness of her being a lonely old woman. But my granny is also suffering from dementia but due to large scale privatisaiton of health and social care that this nasty old bitch started, she's having to use up her life savings to pay a private care home to help give her some dignity in her old age. We are ALL still paying for what she started and I for one could not sit through this shit if you paid me.

The best being about the review is that it calls Mark Thatcher a "pile of toss". x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:30 pm 
Hawleytastic!

i couldn't agree more. i'm not going anywhere near it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:49 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Not a chance I would see this, nor read the book. The woman has done terrible things to so many people she is evil beyond what words can describe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:24 pm 
Regular poster

This woman destroyed industries, communities and split families without any care for those involved - she sought to destroy the moral and pride of the working classes and she promoted the greed culture that has led ultimately to the economic crisis we find ourselves in.
I refuse to watch anything about the woman and you just know that TV and film will try and make her a hero for the sake of good tv - nothing to do with the damage she did to the UK.

Shame on her...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:39 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
Think I'll read that Chris Mullin book too Poppy. Sounds good.

I could never go and see this because blind prejudice would prevent me enjoying any of it and probably end with me being arrested after shouting obscenities at the screen or choking on my popcorn. Much has been made of the sadness of her being a lonely old woman. But my granny is also suffering from dementia but due to large scale privatisaiton of health and social care that this nasty old bitch started, she's having to use up her life savings to pay a private care home to help give her some dignity in her old age. We are ALL still paying for what she started and I for one could not sit through this shit if you paid me.

The best being about the review is that it calls Mark Thatcher a "pile of toss".

Brilliant Helen, i know I can rely on you to tell it like it is !! wholeheartedly agree with everyone here...the sad thing is our generation are the last ones to remember what she did; the falklands war, the miners strike, the privatisation of state run industries, sale of social housing and the refusal to reinvest the proceeds...the list goes on and on...I work with people in their early 30's and they really don't have a clue.... MAGGIE MAGGIE MAGGIE... OUT OUT OUT !!!! those were the days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:48 am 
Hawleytastic!

A horrible woman and anyone in the film has damned themselves by association. Read summat the other day - may not be true - that the film makes out she was some kind of sex symbol, now aside from Alan Clark who would fuck a hole in the wall (sorry but that's about the level of it) and Jeffrey Archer who would do anything to illustrate how odious he is, I am nonplussed. Won't ever watch the film, she has without doubt had an enormous longlasting impact on the politics and economy of this country and it's been a terrible one. One of the most obscene things, in a sea of obscenity during Tony Blair's time as prime minister was him inviting her to visit him in Downing Street as one of his first acts. It was a real insult to all those who had supported the Labour Party through thin and thin during her reign and said everything about his buy in to the whole miserable ideology of her government. Ed Milliband is now slithering down the same pole, afraid to say anything that might upset the political status quo of lining the pockets of the rich and shitting on the rest of us.

Meryl Streep can fuck off as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:07 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

I heard a couple of 20 year olds discussing this at work, they are going to see it 'To see what it was all about'

I rounded on them and told them exactly how it was, as I remembered it, and said that if they wanted to indirectly line the pockets of a callous old witch who was desperate to take us to war to bolster her megalomaniac economic policies and see a sanitised version of how it actually was to live through those times to go ahead but not to tell me how it was afterwards.

I think they're going to see the Inbetweeners instead :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:44 pm 
Hawleytastic!

maggie wrote:
I heard a couple of 20 year olds discussing this at work, they are going to see it 'To see what it was all about'

I rounded on them and told them exactly how it was, as I remembered it, and said that if they wanted to indirectly line the pockets of a callous old witch who was desperate to take us to war to bolster her megalomaniac economic policies and see a sanitised version of how it actually was to live through those times to go ahead but not to tell me how it was afterwards.

I think they're going to see the Inbetweeners instead :D

This made me laugh, Maggie! I do this at work, some young thing asks me some question about something, and I give them what I think is a perfectly reasonable answer, and then, after about 30 seconds, I realise that they think I am ranting like a rabid dog, because they don't get the venom, they didn't grow up in a society where you either loved Thatcher or you venomously hated her. And then I try to explain about the mark it's left on Britain and how her systematic destruction of (there is no) society has led to a country where the idea of collectivism is just seeping out of consciousness. And they look at me like I'm mad.

And I want to tell them the story of how, when the Brighton Bomb went off, my mum woke me up saying: Get up Helen, they nearly got the bitch! And this is coming from a woman who didn't support the IRA, or violence, who would be appalled at one human hurting another. But she hated, hated, hated Thatcher and it sort of took over her body. And I want to tell them that, when she does die, I won't be in work, I'll be drunk after the all night party taking place at my house, where me and my friends will laugh, and dance and conga in the street.

But I don't. Because they don't get it. More power to you, Maggie the righteous as opposed to Maggie the Evil. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:09 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

And Meryl Frigging Streep!!!!!

As if it wasn't bad enough!!!!