Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ticket resale agencies
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:58 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Dispatches programme about ticket reselling agencies due to be screened tomorrow on channel 4 looks like it might be worth watching ...

http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sect ... de=1048592

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:39 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Even before its screened..............tell us something we don't know.

The lads I knew from old football/concert touting days all have swankey offices in Canary Wharf now,they don't need to get cold,wet and have any aggro any more and make a lot more money. Just pisses you off even more,especially when you cannot get tickets for something you really want to see. Like an RH concert perhaps :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:03 am 
Hawleytastic!

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news ... y-viagogos

I totally agree - we've all known it goes on within those resale (tout) sites but it will be good to see the actual evidence. Hopefully the programme will encourage some change ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:17 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

It'd only take a few simple measures to virtually stop the ticket re-sale industry dead.

- Ebay should ban re-selling tickets beyond face value/ban re-selling altogether.
- A large scale police operation to arrest and prosecute scalpers outside venues, online etc. They do it for football tickets, I don't see how this would be any more difficult. I'm sure there'd need to be a change in legislation to make prosecution etc legal but again if you compare this to football, it's pretty much the same sort of thing,

- Alternatively, the first hand sellers, like ticketmaster, see tickets etc, would require a user to register to buy tickets as usual, but have a passport style photograph registered to their account. When the tickets are printed, said photo would be printed on the back, like a driving license/passport. So if you bought say six tickets, one person in the group would have to be the person in the photo, and provide I.D on the door to confirm. OK, some touts might go to the show, make sure people got in and then leave, but it'd certainly put a lot off that buy tickets for scores of events across the country. I'm sure the logistics of implementing something like this aren't too difficult. You had to provide photo ID which matched the name and address on your ticket to get in to the Led Zep concert a while back and that seemed to work.

The fact of the matter is, ticketmaster etc aren't interested in doing this, because they're in on the re-seller market themselves. The amount of times I've tried to get tickets for something that have 'sold out in x seconds' only for ticketmaster to tell me 'don't worry, our sister site tickettoutmaster (I can't recall the real name) has tickets in the good seats for 5 times their face value. I'm sorry, but that's just taking the pi$$.