Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The End of the Tour
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:12 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I recommend this movie unreservedly, you don't have to be a fan of David Foster Wallace to enjoy it, nor have read David Lipsky's writings about him. It works absolutely on its own, just brilliant. Incredible acting and I think the tone is just right. I know that a lot of people who surrounded DFW in life, and who are caretakers of his estate and work, don't endorse the movie, and haven't seen it. There are a few who have and I think by and large they approve of how it came out. For myself, I am an immense fan of DFW, and I was lucky enough to meet him a few times when I lived in the book-pimping world. I have been putting off watching this movie because I really didn't think I could handle it, because his death was devastating. But I finally brought myself to watch it and I'm so glad I did. It's probably one of the best road trip stories I've seen, too. I think a lot of you would enjoy it and I think you should do yourselves a favor and check it out when you have a chance.

Post subject: Re: The End of the Tour
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:16 am 
The Boss

I'll be sleeping

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:17 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Hahahaha you poor clueless man, that's what you think. As if we'd ever let you rest. Dance, monkey, dance! C'mon, sleep is for quitters! Don't you know there's never going to be an end of the tour for you? I refer you to They Might Be Giants:

At the end of the tour/When the road disappears/If there's any more people around/When the tour runs aground/And if you're still around/Then we'll meet at the end of the tour/The engagements are booked through the end of the world/So we'll meet at the end of the tour

Either that, or you'll eventually learn to sleep with your eyes open, like a dog. It's an option.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:54 pm 
The Boss

I'll be sleeping.....forever.....well.....till February

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:14 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

A nice long nap, and some much-deserved winter hibernation. :) Ugh, I said the "w" word. We'll just pretend that didn't happen. It's trying to snow here, but so far I've effectively held it off with my mind. And I just said the "s" word, that's two for two. :shock: Trying not to rush that; soon enough it will be time to rebuild the ol' blanket fort and cocoon till spring. Actually, there's lots of stuff I love about winter, but I thought I'd die my first winter in Wisconsin. I only went outside if I absolutely had to. This is pretty much how it went, does this look familiar?:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:33 am 
The Boss

I like that guy he's hard.....it takes guts to be yourself

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:36 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Word up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:29 am 
The Boss

Although I have dogs and guitars so I'm never really alone.....I also am blessed with so many wonderful people in my life....that sounds so feckin cheesy but at 48 years old I just don't care...look towards the light.... <*> the dark will find you if you let it

Peace of mind is good if your lucky to occasionally have it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:28 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Yeah. What you said. Or, you know, if you're lucky enough to even occasionally have a mind. :wink:

I don't know what I would do without my people. No shit. Took me a while to figure that out, to let people in, to stop imposing loneliness on myself. But I can't imagine it any other way now. I don't know what I ever did to deserve the people I have around me, and I am so sorry that apparently, in some past life, they did something to deserve having me around them. :roll:

Once in a great while though, even now at this late date, I will feel that subtle, insidious pull to close myself off from company. I think I spent so long like that, that there's still a little bit of that rolling around in there. You know what I'm saying? I think long ago a part of me decided I didn't deserve company, and I just ran with that for quite a while.

But whenever I notice that bullshit thinking creeping in nowadays, I double down on being around people. I don't want to ever be one of those people who sadly never figures out how much they were loved by others, and never tells others how much they are loved. I take every opportunity now to let myself accept and give love. And it has taken forever to realize that other people actually do like me, do want me in their lives, do think good things about me. And that they always have. Sometimes that's still a little hard to believe. :)

You're so right, if you rattle around enough in your own brain, the darkness will always be delighted to see you again. When I find I'm starting to beat myself up over this or that past mistake, I have to pull myself up short. My husband says, we can't do anything about yesterday, but we can do everything about tomorrow. How right is that. :) If I didn't have people around me who accept me and understand me and keep me going forward, and if I didn't do those same things for them, I would be in really dire shape. That's the only thing I know for certain, the one and only thing I've learned: that we need each other. <*>