Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: EU in or out?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:06 pm 
The Boss

So,does anybody have an opinion about the EU referendum?....advice about it?....do you know what the issues are?....do you care?....I'm confused a little because it seems to be not so much a rational debate about a potentially huge issue that will affect us,our children and future generations but more about politicians insulting each other in a rather vile and unseemly way.....any thoughts folks?.....and just before we start can we be the opposite to the politicians and be civil to each other.....please

Post subject: Re: EU in or out?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:45 pm 
Hawleytastic!

In for me.

My only strong opinion is that everyone should vote - if I had my way all democratic elections would be mandatory.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:21 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Me too. I've read every bit of info I can find. Have to be honest, it's not helped much, as most of it is seems to be political blustering. All I can see in the local press is a lot of people seem to believe it's a question of 'how many more immigrants will we get?' if we are in, or out. Which isn't the question at all. But I do live in Rochester where Nigel Farage got in. If only there was a paper or programme that you could believe wasn't bias or being manipulated, and just gave you as much honest information as possible. Wishful thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:01 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

It's difficult, isn't it, when no-one has a crystal ball. Whatever happens the side that lose will probably claim a moral victory somehow as soon as something 'goes wrong'.
My gut says we're better off in than out but I, too, want to find out more. I'm going to do some research nearer the time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:34 am 
Hawleytastic!

Just back off my hols so here's my twopenneth.

I want to be an aginer... some of the arguments on this are good ones.

Obviously, it's written from a rail union point of view but it's the only left leaning thing I've seen on the subject. The TTIP thing is a really big thing that will chance the nature of life in this country and there needs to be opposition to it.

All that said, the Brexit lot are fronted by a bunch of backward xenophobes, who symbolise the worst side of the UK, get off my land little Englanders, suspicious of difference, racist, snidey, vile upper class twats whipping up the worst traits of some working class people, just as the Blackshirts did in the 1930s. Boris, the fop-haired twat. Farage. The right wing detritus of the Tory Party.

I'm not suggesting forumers who support leaving the EU have these views as there are good arguments for leaving as well as staying and, on the whole, us forum types are the best of people. But I don't want to be bed fellows with the waste of humanity that is heading up the Brexit campaign so I will probably hold my nose and vote to stay in, with open eyes and my fighting head on to take on what is wrong with the EU.

xxx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Sheeeesh.... I had the Tony Benn youtube posted to my FB page...thanks for the twopenneth...pretty perfect summary...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:27 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Europe is an imperfecr beast and needs reform, though not the ones Cameron thinks are important. Leaving Europe would be a disaster for the northern towns and cities destroyed by Thatcher - European money and influence have assisted those areas more than our own governments. At one time I would have been for exit but not now with the xenophobic anti union, anti worker stance of the cheerleaders. I see exactly what the RMT argue but fear the further collapse of our society if wee are railroaded by the Little Englander vote. So I will vote IN with reservations

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:32 pm 
Hawleytastic!

In for me, but with a need for administrative reform. Union over division - yes, there are going to be things that will hurt our country, but that's part of any bigger picture.

Anyway, I'm a citizen of the world that just happened to be born within some random lines on a map.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:48 am 
The Boss

I'm still confused :eh? But that's probably my permanent state

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:40 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Same here. There are plenty of opinions coming from various political quarters/organisations but very little helpful detail on the reasoning behind these opinions. Also, opposing remarks coming from senior individuals within political groups, business organisations and workers organisations only serve to increase confusion. Anyway, I'll continue to try to find some clarification for, hopefully, a sensible decision before 23/06.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:16 pm 
The Boss

Your right,hard to form an opinion based on sound bites and insults....my gut feeling is"in"but i just want more factual information,hard to separate urban myth from actual truth too....!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

We kind of know vaguely what IN means not withstanding Dave the Tax and his negotiating to support jingoism. OUT is a real unknown and there is no objective information about the likely outcome. The loudest voices in the campaign to leave are people whose poltical ideology I deplore and I share the fears excpressed by Corbyn about a "bonfire of rights'.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:14 pm 
The Boss

Well that's the clearest and most lucid opinion I've heard yet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:52 am 
Hawleytastic!

I agree, H. Thought Corbyn was bang on. In, but doesn't mean you have to be uncritical or not fight for more democracy. But the bonfire of rights thing is a powerful argument. And a country governed by Boris? Honestly, the shame of having that c**t as Mayor of London hangs over this great city like an eggy fart. x

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:12 pm 
The Boss

Well anything that man says is bound to make me go the other way....but then again Cameron is telling us to stay.....but to me it makes sense to stay,I think our work force will be far more open to abuse if we close the doors