It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Should Hawley be included in the 1000?
Yes 88%  88%  [ 14 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 16
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:33 am 
Hawleytastic!

Over the last week the Guardian has been publishing a list of 1000 albums to hear before you die. Here's the link:

http://music.guardian.co.uk/1000albums/ ... 98,00.html

:shock: :shock: The b :evil: ggers didn't include Hawley, although Arctic Monkeys made it along with Pulp ... and no one screamed out "but you missed out Richard Hawley"!!!

So I've set up a little poll (I'm starting to get a little cocky with my developing IT skills :*: )

Do you think Hawley should be in 1000 - yes/no and rationale for including (or not) Hawley in the 1000.

Off you go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:42 am 
Hawleytastic!

Of course he should be there!

He's not one of these 5 minute manufactured wonders that seem to be in fashion - his stuff is timeless and classic and he deserves to be in that 1000 - I am sure there are more than a few duff choices in that thousand that can come out to make way for some of Richard's stuff.

But anyway its another one of those subjective things - everyone has their own version of what a list should be - albeit we may not all have 1000 favourites!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:44 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

Not so much should he be there....of course he should..but more which album would be in there if I only had to choose one???? Think I'd have to be a big fat cheat and make up my own Hawley compilation.............I'll be back later after my hangover subsides (if I don't die first) with my choices...............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:48 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

for me it would be the prize bingo mini album (if i had to choose just one) - there's just something about it that gets me each time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:50 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Yeah Richard should be on the list. Here's my vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:51 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Again, it's not just the artist, it's the album ... It's not necessarily about what your favourite album is, agree Prize Bingo lovely but not convinced by your argument, Luke, that it should be the one that puts Richard on the list.

For example, for me The Jam's most smack-in-your-face-this-is-it was All Mod Cons ... and used to be consistently the favourite amongst hacks in the 1980s, but 21st century hindsight decrees it to be Sound Affects. Both wonderful albums, but I suppose the durability of That's Entertainment (which has become quite iconic), the distance of Start (so no longer hampered by comparisons with Taxman) and it's chronology in terms of weller's writing maturity are presumably what has now given it the edge.

SO. Back to the poll and you can't just vote - you must pick an album that you think will be the one that endures and provide your justification! 8) [/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:24 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Oh well, if he didn't make the list of albums to hear before you die, perhaps there's room in the list of albums to hear after you're dead?

All these lists are of course stupid and pointless but you can't help yourself having a peep. I think that missing out Ian Dury but including Lily Allen was a bit of a boo-boo though.............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:32 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

catsandbooks wrote:
Again, it's not just the artist, it's the album ... It's not necessarily about what your favourite album is, agree Prize Bingo lovely but not convinced by your argument, Luke, that it should be the one that puts Richard on the list.

For example, for me The Jam's most smack-in-your-face-this-is-it was All Mod Cons ... and used to be consistently the favourite amongst hacks in the 1980s, but 21st century hindsight decrees it to be Sound Affects. Both wonderful albums, but I suppose the durability of That's Entertainment (which has become quite iconic), the distance of Start (so no longer hampered by comparisons with Taxman) and it's chronology in terms of W$ll*r's writing maturity are presumably what has now given it the edge.

SO. Back to the poll and you can't just vote - you must pick an album that you think will be the one that endures and provide your justification! 8) [/i]

my god!! we're talkin about weller and i missed it!! :*:

all mod cons for me. defo. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:36 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

catsandbooks wrote:
but not convinced by your argument, Luke

well thats good because i wasn't actually arguing anything - i was just saying thats my favourite album

Last edited by Luke M on Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:37 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

if i had to choose one album i would go for ryan's cold roses. a true classic imho.

it dont need more justification than that - just go listen :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:17 pm 
Too much time on my hands

who voted no? fess up.... :?