Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:31 am 
Hawley Groupie

Hello y'all,

Well I spent my summer volunteering in the avian nursery of the Minnesota Wildlife Rehabilitation Center along with my wife Jessika (who now is a bit of a folk hero, in my opinion - she was just unreal at the job), here in St Paul, Minnesota. Knackering and draining but somehow loved every minute of it. You can't save 'em all but we rescued thousands of abandoned, injured and orphaned infants and nestlings... Chickadees, Blue Jays, Nighthawks, Bluebirds, Woodpeckers, Siskins, Goldfinches, even the occasional Heron and Raven. The one brilliant thing about this place is that it takes anything and everything, regardless of whether other people think they're a 'pest', such as Feral Pigeons (aka Rock Doves) and introduced species such as House Sparrows and Starlings. They all get the same treatment.

Speaking of Starlings, a neighbour knocked on the door one day with an infant Starling who it seems had been attacked by something and dragged out of it's nest - we think she was probably about 3-4 days old - unfortunately she was pretty badly beaten up and had lost an eye.

Due to very odd State regulation, if we'd have taken her to the rescue centre, they would have been bound by said regulation to have her euthanised (it has to be said, against the vet staff's will but they can't risk losing their funding and licence).

After we nursed her for a couple of weeks, apart from the eye (which by this point was obviously lost for good) she overcame infection and was otherwise OK.

So now she lives with us! Meet Pepper the Starling, who had just stormed our canary's cage to grab a sneaky bath....

Image[/url]

the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:03 am 
Hawleytastic!

Oh good work! :D

Will you set her free eventually?

I do like birds - as long as they're in the right place - the cat has brought some in the house in the past and it totally freaked me out :shaking:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:36 pm 
Hawley Groupie

The Baroness wrote:
Oh good work! :D

Will you set her free eventually?

I do like birds - as long as they're in the right place - the cat has brought some in the house in the past and it totally freaked me out :shaking:

Unfortunately she couldn't be released - with one eye she wouldn't last long. Plus with all the handling she received when we were stitching her back together, she got very habituated with people and is now too tame.

But she has our flock of other birds (and us) to hang out with - she's happy! She's starting to talk as well - but never when I have a camera pointed at her... :roll:

the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:38 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I did wonder that about the eye, she wouldn't stand much of a chance in her natural habitat.

But she's obviously happy - shame about the singing, but you never know you might catch a bit one day when she's not paying you attention :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:31 pm 
Hawleytastic!

What a heart-warming story to brighten a miserable Tuesday morning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:57 pm 
Hot piece of Sheffield ass!

awww, well that was lovely. Good on you and your missus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:02 am 
Hawley Groupie

Speaking of all things bird, I just obtained a copy of the "Search For The Holy Quail" radio show featuring Messrs. Garvey, Riley and Noble. Just about to put it on while me and my wife make a veggie chilli... been looking forward to this for a while!

the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:16 am 
Too much time on my hands

I've just found this thread. What an amazing, wonderful thing.

I was reading a book about opportunities like this, and now I know I need to find one.

~ K