Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:06 am 
Hawleytastic!

You need to ASK about destinations in Memphis? Shame on you! :*: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:32 am 
Too much time on my hands

:oops: I know 'the bleedin obvious' I wondered about the less obvious we would not want to miss. I feel like I've been told off :shock: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:52 am 
Hawleytastic!

As if! :*: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:49 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Don't go up the Empire State - have a look in at lobby level to see the art deco design, but the viewing levels aren't that great.

Far better to do Top of the Rock, which is the observation deck at the rockerfeller centre. It's not quite as high, but nowhere near as busy and it's encased in glass panels to give an unimpeded view, and you get to see the empire state in all it's glory as well...

Similarly, inless you want the full statue of liberty tour, just get the statten Island Ferry for 50c each way and it sails right past.

Unfortunately the best pub in New York, the legendary Chumleys, shut a couple of years ago after a fire, and despite promises to re-open it, it's never happed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:17 pm 
Regular poster

Loving all these hints and tips - going to spend a bit of time having a good concentrate on this and looking up some of the web links Karen provided as well :D

The only slight concern is looking at that last pic and the advice about the tall buildings is that I don't like heights and feel dizzy on the 7th floor of my office block! Could be a problem!!

A bit of a contradiction to that I know, but one thing we are thinking of doing if we can get the nerve up is a helicoptor ride over the Hudson - anyone got any tips on that - other than the fact that I will probably require half a bottle of vodka before I seriously contemplate it (I don't even like flying on big aircraft :pale: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

re the feeling dizzy bit, I can see on the outside of the glass there are some 'chunks' of building. I get that feeling at work as our building is all glass but find if there is a chair between me and the glass I can cope, so if you stood behind one of those so you are not looking straight down you might be okay.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:58 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Joxer wrote:
Don't go up the Empire State - have a look in at lobby level to see the art deco design, but the viewing levels aren't that great.

Disagree! You have to tick that box, if you've not been before - then do the Rockefeller...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:47 pm 
Regular poster

efsb wrote:
Joxer wrote:

Disagree! You have to tick that box, if you've not been before - then do the Rockefeller...

I did think that - the photo from the Rockefeller looks great though, although to be fair - I will probably end up standing in the lobby of both buildings holding everyone else's coats while they all go up and look, then I'll probably feel pissed off later when they all go on about how fantastic it was. Either that, or the other half of the aforementioned bottle of vodka could come in to play....maybe thats why I feel dizzy in tall buildings??

Post subject: Booked!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:57 pm 
Regular

Many thanks for all the advice we have taken the plunge and are off for 5 nights in September Biggest thanks to the woman ( Lily, my Mum,s cousin) who i never met who left my Mum a few quid on her death,unfortunately Mum no longer with us either now and i get the chance to live that dream ,but i'll be thinking of them both when that plane lands;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:02 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

Alf Button wrote:
Catch the subway to Coney Island.........it's another world (it takes about 45 minutes from midtown Manhattan), then make your way back through Brooklyn and cross the bridge back into Manhattan.

oh god yeah! 8) coney island is exactly how it looks in the films! make sure yer go to the famous 'nathan's' for a hot dog while yer there :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:26 am 
Hawleytastic!

Never been to New York, but it's on my list of places to go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:53 am 
Hawleytastic!

Jan H wrote:

Me neither! Have ideas to go last year and this year. Children are off our hands but bloody aging pets hold us back!!! :twisted: Our friends in France have to get "house sitters" for breaks of more than 3 nightsas it seems catteries are unheard of in SW France. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:24 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Gloria wrote:
Loving all these hints and tips - going to spend a bit of time having a good concentrate on this and looking up some of the web links Karen provided as well :D

The only slight concern is looking at that last pic and the advice about the tall buildings is that I don't like heights and feel dizzy on the 7th floor of my office block! Could be a problem!!

A bit of a contradiction to that I know, but one thing we are thinking of doing if we can get the nerve up is a helicoptor ride over the Hudson - anyone got any tips on that - other than the fact that I will probably require half a bottle of vodka before I seriously contemplate it (I don't even like flying on big aircraft :pale: )

I'm really keen to do the helicopter thing aswell, also not a fan of heights......
BUT i was talked into a balloon ride over The Valley Of The Kings and I was amazed at how safe I felt, hence my desire to do the helicopter ride!!!

Now I just have to talk my Mum into it! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:07 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Longpigsdad wrote:
Jan H wrote:

Me neither! Have ideas to go last year and this year. Children are off our hands but bloody aging pets hold us back!!!

Likewise - well just the aging pets not the kids!

When I mentioned that a city break to NYC taking in one of Richards gigs would be a great idea - she said why not see a load of gigs and drink loads of beer in the UK for the same price...

We both agreed to follow Richard round Ireland in the car with the dogs if the dates were during the School Holidays...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:30 pm 
Regular poster

I'm really keen to do the helicopter thing aswell, also not a fan of heights......
BUT i was talked into a balloon ride over The Valley Of The Kings and I was amazed at how safe I felt, hence my desire to do the helicopter ride!!!

Now I just have to talk my Mum into it! :shock:[/quote]

Not sure when you are off, but I should be there exactly a month today :D so, should I consume a sufficiently large amount of vodka to get the nerve up to attempt the helicopter, then I shall report back on how terrifying it was, which may or may not prove helpful in persuading your mum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next