Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:19 am 
Too much time on my hands

Ash cloud permitting in two weeks time I will be sat by a pool with a drink in my hand in Sunny Spain :)
(Better still I am leaving my three children with my parents and going on holiday without them for the first time ever!)

We intend to spend a day in Barcelona, a place I've always wanted to visit.
Has anyone been (just realised RH played there earlier this year so probably many of you have been!) and if so what are the must see bits of that fair city?

Also I've heard lots of horrific stories about bag snatches, lots of people I know have been and lost their handbags in bars or witnessed others having their belongings taken.
The internet is not helping my peace of mind, it is rife with stories about the level of crime in that particular city, do I need to be worried and are there any areas we should really steer clear of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:57 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

It no worse than anywhere else - don't walk around with your passport behind your ear or your purse abalance don your head and you'll be fine.

I love the place, worht a wonder down La Rambla but the Gothic Quarter was my favourite - loads of little cobbled streets, courtyards and cafe bars

Parc Guell, Sagrada Familia, Camp Nou,The beach, eat lots, drink lots
I enjoyed just sitting and watching the world go by

edit: the seafood is ace. I don't speak spanish so started ordering things blindly, I received one dish that was like a kiev with an unspecified meat in the middle - wasn't beef, chicken, pork, veal, venison - to this day I don't know what it was

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:24 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I was there a few years back, did the Camp Nou, Zoo, Sagrada Familia etc, but the place i enjoyed the most was the gothic quarter, full of shops selling bespoke items and little arty farty galleries.
The Picasso museum was excellent, something i didn't think i'd enjoy to be honest, not usually my cup of tea. Don't lean on the walls though as i did at one point, the security guard nearly drew his gun (no shit) i was exhausted thats all, was no where near a painting. :?

i did get accosted by a prostitute from Cameroon, she was blabbin on "will you be my boyfriend" and "do you want to fuck". I was well pissed off coz i'd just bought a mint choc chip ice cream and was really enjoying it. In the end i just said "look go away or i'll stick the pointy end of this ice cream in yer eyeball you pox riddled whore" It worked.

something to tell the grandkids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:02 am 
Hawleytastic!

Get pissed drop a few qualudes and get on the tour bus...

OK - maybe not - be wary of trouble - the old bird shit on the coat trick relieved a mate of his wallet a few years back - basically someone flicks 'bird shit' on your coat - some one else comes to help - taking you into a side street / apartment block entrance - and then whilst helping helps themselves to your gear...

Having said that I loved it - especially the bands playing on the underground - and the fountain / music display at night on the site of the old expo near those big column thingys that lead up to some palace whatsit near the Olympic stadium...

Whats a qualude?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:29 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

It's a pity you only have the one day, as Barcelona is such a fantastic city, full of wonderful architecture, history etc. If you do get to stay a little longer try to get to the Nou Camp ( Barcelona's football ground)and see a football match, even if your not that big a fan of football it is truly a great spectacle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:51 pm 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

If I just had one day in Barcelona I would go see ( Casa Mila)
La Pedrera..it's a must.....there's not a straight line in sight !!
The rooftop terrace always knocks me out.... 'Chimneys'...incredible & the views across the city,well just takes your breath away......
It's so mad & unconventional & gives you a little bit of an insight into the mind of Gaudi....there is also a shop where you can buy odd, one off bits for kids.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:17 pm 

thanks all, we may stay for a couple of days.
It seems everyone I speak to has been the victim of or witnessed some sort of crime!
I've heard a variation on the bird shit M.O which was someone squirts toothpaste on the back of your jacket then points it out while another lifts your wallet.
We are definitely going but I will be tucking my Euros in my bra!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:03 am 

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf# ... 61096&op=6

I still can't work out how to post pics..the link above is to my album of the holiday on facebook (there are some great pics of Barcelona at the beginning, last couple of pages are us by the pool, you might want to miss those out, don't look at lunchtime or it might put you off your dinner)
We visited Casa Battlo and it was incredible, you'll see from the pics how mad it is.
Halucinogenic mushrooms feature a lot Gaudi's architecture, which explains a lot I think.
Looked at the exterior of Casa Mila en route to Parc Guel but didn't have time to go in, we walked everywhere and packed a lot in just one day.
The highlight for me was the church Sagrada Familia, I found it incredibly moving for some reason and felt privileged to visit what is still a work in progress. I intend to go back when it's complete if not before. Gaudi's tomb is in the church and I went and had a word, lit a candle, thanked him for sharing his incredible gift with the world.

Salou was lovely too, start of the season so not too chavvy. The hotel was very good, I'd recommend it. Food was second to none.
Was disappointed we didn't manage to get to Sitges, apparently it's the Brighton of Catalunya, very gay and colourful.
I'd love to go back to Barcelona, we only scratched the surface.

I loved it, it was my first sunshine holiday abroad in 20 years.