Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Chatsworth House
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Never been here before - was very impressed with the lovely gardens..and knowing that Deborah...the old Duchess is an Elvis fan ...was hoping to see signs of Elvis...haha.....loved the amazing statue in marble of a veiled girl....and also the great mix of very grand and traditional art works with alot of more quirky modern stuff....very interesting.........and an Elvis display too of stuff she bought on her two trips to Graceland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I've never been but I'd love to - when I move to Yorkshire at least it'll be a bit nearer! :D

Read a biography of one of the 19th century duchesses (Georgiana) who lived there which was absolutely fascinating.

PS - did you know Jean they have discovered three new unseen photos of Elvis from '57? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:53 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Yes Julie...they are pics of him signing autographs at the Music Gates in 1957, fans climbing all over the walls.....always amazes me when they say they had a look in Vernon's filing cabinet and found some photos in an envelope....I need to be the archivist there and have a good old root round.... :*:

I loved that the velvet and diamante ELVIS bag she bought at Graceland was displayed with all her designer clothes and handbags......and jewelry loaded with diamonds....and then her little bag with Elvis bling.... :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:35 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Nice pictures of a very familiar place to me, Jean. I live just a few miles from the house and regularly go walking in the area. Oddly, I have only ever been inside the house once though :?

Cheers, Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

i used to take my kids to the treetop adventure stuff there. 'twas fantastic, i couldn't keep off it myself :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:39 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Chatsworth is lovely, I used to work with a guy whose mum worked in the house and he'd been allowed all over the place, apparently there's store rooms stuffed with things that the public never see. Oh and when the old duke and duchess gave a big party for their golden wedding they had an Elvis impersonator as entertainment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Chatsworth is only three quarters of an hour away from mine - some nice walks around that way. I prefer Haddon Hall, though, which is not too far away from Chatsworth - it's older. smaller and oozes character. It featured in the last version of Jane Eyre too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:47 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Nice pics as always...esfb....loved the big foot..wearing the same flip flops as i was.....
:wink:
Nice to hear so many enjoy this lovely area

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:58 am 
Hawleytastic!

Ah bliss, one of my favourite places, I used to go every weekend as a teenager in the hot summers of the late 70's.

The Gardens are amazing, as kids we used to tickle by hand huge trout in the gardens and one day we got a big one, stuffed it in the rucksack and went back to Sheffield on the bus :D

Mum I have caught a fish, can you imagine that, this thing was 2 foot long

Great place for walking, I like to go up to the hunting tower and over the back to The Empress lakes

Did you find the maze?

The pets graveyard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:05 am 
Hawleytastic!

We can't do long walks sadly as my hubby wears a caliper as a result of having had polio as a child....but we did walk up through the rock garden to the Cascade and then through the maze and down to the fountain.......I have always loved Derbyshire and don't get there as often as I should as we only live about 50 miles away .... every time I do I spend the whole day saying how beautiful it is and we should come more often.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:02 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Yes Jean Derbyshire is lovely, I am lucky all this is just 20 mins drive away from me, next time you have to go to Haddon Hall as efsb suggests it's a mediaeval/tudor mansion and well worth a look. Have met the dowager on several occasions, she is the last surviving Mitford sister.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Yes - I loved seeinng all the photos of the Mitfords...I love to see all the connections...the Kennedys of course...as Kick was married to the brother who would have been the Duke had he not died in the war....... I have a thing for the Kennedy family.....

Also intrigues me how so many first sons who should inherit die before they do - leaving it to the second son ...... think that happened in Alnwick also with the Northumberlands.......like George V1 after his brother abdicated

Haddon Hall next time for sure! Well ..... Buxton for Lord Hawley next time actually :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:21 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Lovely pics Jean - I haven't been to Chatsworth for years. considering it's so near (only about 50 mins away) I might take myself off there one weekend. I remember the whole family hiring a minibus when I was about four years old and we had a 'big day out' driving over the Cat and Fiddle and ending up at Chatswoth :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:38 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I have only been once and that was over 30 years ago. Time I visited again, I think. I remember the Cascade is copied from the one at Caserta, not far from where my family live in Italy. I visited there around the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:29 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Well Jean looks like Haddon on the way back from Buxton for you then!
And there's an excellent biography of the Mitfords by Mary S. Lovell if you want to read up more on them.